Fall applications, admissions rise

The Eastern Michigan University Division of Student Affairs and Management is reporting an increase in student applications and admissions for this fall.

In the past year to date, 12,631 FTIAC (first time in any college) students applied, compared to 10,139
students last year — that’s 2,492 more applications.

When it comes to transfer students, there were 322 more submissions than the year prior. An increase from 3,544 to 4,036 was also seen in graduate applications.

Student admission is on the rise as well, with 7,496 FTIACs admitted this year compared to the 6,695 last year.

There were also 105 more transfer and graduate students.

Not all of those admitted ultimately chose Eastern.

This year to date, 2,051 FTIACs chose Eastern as opposed to the 1,918 last year.

Also, 185 more graduate and transfer students chose Eastern in comparison to last year.

Not only has the number of students increased as a whole, but the numbers of out-of-state and international undergraduate students have seen increases as well.

This year, 374 more Ohio natives applied to Eastern than last; Illinois applicants increased from 322 to 552, and applications submitted by students from other states have more than doubled this year compared to last.

Applications from international students have increased from 239 to 336.

According to the EMU Business Services website, if an out-of-state student decides to enroll at Eastern, he or she will be paying around $15,475.10 a year.

Michigan State University charges its out-of-state students $31,148 a year, and the University of Michigan charges $37,782.