Football working through process

“Embrace the process,” a phrase Ron English, coach for the Eastern Michigan University football team, has engraved in the minds of players, students and fans since his arrival on Dec. 28, 2008.

The thing about a process is that it takes time, and there is no universal timeline for every process. Each has its own obstacles to overcome, its own changes to make and its own final product. And after two years it’s safe to say EMU’s process is starting to show some results.

Despite a 2-10 record in 2010, the team improved leaps and bounds from the previous season (0-12). The offense proved itself, showing it could keep up with teams such as Army in a 31-27 loss.

This season, the team is looking at what could be its first winning season in more than a decade. For the Eagles to finally jump this hurdle, it will take hard work and a change of mindset. English said this is a plausible goal.

“Our goal is to win the MAC,” English said in an interview with The Eastern Echo at media day. “But before we can do that our goal is to prepare in such a way that gives us a chance to do that.”

EMU will have a substantial amount of returning faces on the defense, including junior defensive back Marcell Rose, senior defensive back Latarius Thomas and senior defensive lineman Brandon Slater. But even they are not predicted to look the same with Thomas playing his first season as a healthy player.

To add to the experience of the returning faces, the Eagles have added a number of new, young players. They have a total of 17 transfers from junior colleges, six of whom were able to participate in spring practices. In that group came three linebackers, two safeties and one cornerback.

On offense, the Eagles have the challenge of replacing some important faces, such as running back Dwayne Priest, tight end Ben Thayer and center guard Eric Davis. With that challenge comes the opportunity to shift players, as well as the chance to allow those who have been developing for a couple years to prove themselves.

At quarterback, junior Alex Gillett will be returning for his third season with EMU. Since he started his collegiate career, Gillett has made dramatic improvements. He began as a running quarterback who was indecisive and almost accurate in his passes. Last season his accuracy increased to 55.5 percent with 13 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. According to English, we can expect to see his decisiveness improve this season.

“He gives defenses problems with his ability to run as well as throw,” English said. “His decision making this spring has been much better. His ability to throw the ball has improved dramatically, so I’m very happy to have him as our quarterback.”

The Eagles will open their season against Howard University at 7 p.m. on Sept. 3 at Rynearson Stadium. EMU’s schedule for this year begins with two Football Championship Subdivision teams before it takes on Michigan at the Big House, after which the Eagles will head to Penn State. The MAC season will begin for EMU on Oct. 21 when it hosts Akron University.