Soccer team is 0-2-1, still on 6-game trip

The Eastern Michigan University women’s soccer team is in the middle of a six-game road trip.

This trip has taken the Eagles as close as Detroit and as far as Bowling Green, Ky., as well as against schools of various conferences, such as the Horizon, Summit and Big East.

After coming back to force a 2-2 tie with the Pittsburgh Panthers on Aug. 19 to start the season, the Eagles returned to Michigan to face the Titans at the University of Detroit Mercy on Aug. 23.

EMU lost, 4-0, to the Titans. UDM senior midfielder Lauren Roffey got her first career hat trick.

Eagles midfielder Chelsea Detrick took six shots, including one on goal. The Eagles were outshot by halftime (9-6) and throughout the game (14-10).

Looking to get back on track, EMU traveled to face Indiana University-Purdue University of Indianapolis on Aug. 28. Coach Scott Hall made a change in goalkeeper by putting in senior Maggie Manville as the starting goalie.

At the 37-minute mark, EMU freshman forward Angela Vultaggio shot and scored unassisted for her second goal of the season to take a, 1-0, lead, which was held at halftime.

Three minutes into the second half, IUPUI midfielder Ashley Doreski scored from 15 yards out to tie the game. The Eagles offense continued to make shots while IUPUI got into trouble with fouls and offside calls.

Both teams made many substitutions to get fresh players on the field in anticipation of a possible overtime.

The first overtime period did not settle anything, but five minutes into the second overtime IUPUI forward Megan Hock deflected the ball past Manville off a corner kick to give the Jaguars a 2-1 victory.

The Eagles will make a second trip to Indianapolis to face Butler at 5 p.m. Sept. 2. in Indianapolis. Then they will travel to Oakland and Western Kentucky before returning home to face Illinois State at 4 p.m. Sept. 16 at Scicluna Field.