Don't Ask, Don't Tell leaves mark

“Don’tAsk, Don’t Tell,” or DADT, officially ended Monday, but it does not disappear without varying sentiments.

Some people have mixed feelings about this hot button issue’s very public demise.

When questioned at a local mall Maggie Starnes said, “I think too much time was spent by our leaders dealing with DADT. We have far more pressing issues that need to be fixed. I don’t think that with all of our nations other problems that repealing DADT was that important.

“Yes, I’m happy that soldiers can openly serve, but does that change this war? Our economic outlook? Unemployment? No.”

Students like Eastern Michigan University senior Lyndon Boyd believe there are enough problems facing the country with the end of DADT to be concerned with possible covert reasons for its end.

“There are enough problems facing [the end of DADT] to be concerned about that,” he said. “It is going to take generations before it doesn’t matter anymore.”

Senior John Rath said, “It’s a great thing. It was a very harmful policy. I do have friends in ROTC that have mixed feelings on its end, but I think someone’s opinion of its end depends on the type of environment they were raised in; if you were raised in a more conservative household you might not like it too much.”

Some students, such as senior Melissa Heatlie, see it as an issue of equality in the workplace.

“I think [DADT ending] is great,” Heatlie said. “People don’t need to be afraid of who they are, especially in the workplace. People need to be more accepting; it’s just another way to live life.”

President Obama issued a statement on what it meant for him to sign DADT away.

“I was proud to sign the Repeal Act into law last December because I knew that it would enhance our national security, increase our military readiness and bring us closer to the principles of equality and fairness that define us as Americans,” he said.

There are some who believe the end of DADT is going to show more strength as a military- – President Obama is one of those people. In his statement to the press he said, “Today, every American can be proud that we have taken another great step toward keeping our military the finest in the world and toward fulfilling our nation’s founding ideals.”

Paul Kinczkowski, a sophomore at EMU said as a homosexual man he is happy to see DADT end because it signifies to him the beginning of the end of stereotypes.

“…DADT is not a good thing due to the fact that it is all based on stereotypes,” he said. “People feel that if there is a homosexual defending their country, that if it is a male, then he is going to be a flag-waving, feminine-acting, guy.”