Eagles 2-0 first time since '89

Eastern Michigan University defeated the Hornets of Alabama State 14-7 on Saturday at Rynearson Stadium.

The Eagles are 2-0 for the first time since 1989 and play noon Saturday, at Michigan Stadium against the Wolverines (2-0).

“We hurt ourselves,” Eagles coach Ron English said, “but our defense attacked and turned in a good performance for us.”

The Eagle offense only had one possession in the first quarter, as the Hornets made two drives with the help from penalties in third- and fourth-down situations. But the visitors did not score.

The Eagles, however, took advantage of their lone possession of the first quarter.

The running back duo of Dominique Sherrer and Javonti Greene helped the offense drive 70 yards on 11 plays into the red zone, where Alex Gillett finished the drive with a 13-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Nick Olds.

Kody Fulkerson made the extra point for a 7-0 lead.

Penalties became a problem throughout the game, as the Eagles committed 11 for 120 yards

The Eagles ended the half with a 7-0 lead.

The Eagles came out of the locker room and took their second possession 80 yards, with Sherrer scoring 8-yard touchdown after a good run by Gillett.

Gillett and the Eagles found themselves in a third-and-long situation, and the play call was a screen pass to Sherrer. Gillett, instead, saw the play was going to be stopped easily, so he pump- faked, scrambled out of the pocket, avoided two sacks and found a hole up the middle, running 58 yards to the 8. Two plays later, Sherrer ran it in.

The luck ran out for the Eagles on their next drive as Sherrer fumbled on the Hornet 48. The Eagles not only lost the ball, but they lost Sherrer on what appeared to be a knee injury.

“Dominique Sherrer’s status is unknown,” English said. “There is nothing visible yet on the injury.”

The Hornets converted on the turnover, scoring on a 22-yard pass from Devin Dominiguez to wide receiver T.C. Williams.

The defense was the bright point for EMU. It had eight sacks and allowed 223 yards total offense.

“Our defense was flying around and made plays,” English said. “If we don’t fix the mistakes, as in the penalties and the problems in the passing game, we will struggle. The passing game is still a work in progress.”

The Eagles finished with only 61 yards passing.

Greene and Sherrer each recorded his second consecutive 100-yard game, with Greene gaining 146 on 22 carries and Sherrer gaining 111 on 16 carries.

Tackle Brad Orhman recorded 2 1/2 sacks, and the Eagles had 12 1/2 tackles for a loss of 67 yards.