Un-Happy Valley for the Eagles

The Eastern Michigan University football team lost its last non-conference game of the season to the Penn State Nittany Lions 34-6 in Happy Valley on Saturday, September 24th.
EMU got the ball to start the game and QB Alex Gillett called for three straight passing plays on its first drive of the game, only to be forced to punt the ball on fourth down.
Penn State went three plays and out on their first drive as well with Robert Bolden starting at quarterback for the Nittany Lions.
Eastern Michigan got the ball back and the drive ended with Gillett fumbling the ball. Penn State recovered and, after seven plays for 45 yards, got on the board first after making a 29 yard field goal, giving Penn State a 3-0 lead.
In the second quarter, Matt McGloin was in at signal caller for Penn State and led them to its first passing touchdown of the season with a 27-yard throw to Joe Suhey. EMU got the ball back and gained 33 yards and fumbled again.
EMU gained possession again after Penn State coughed up the ball themselves. The drive ended with Gillett being intercepted, which Penn State capitalized with a touchdown pass from McGloin to Derek Moye, putting PSU ahead 17-0 and it would be held up at halftime.
Gillett was 18 for 31 and throwing for 202 yards and EMU was limited to 68 yards. The two Penn State quarterbacks, Bolden and McGloin, combined for 21 for 30 attempts, 335 passing yards and four touchdowns.
Bolden would start for PSU for the third quarter and he led a touchdown scoring drive that was highlighted by a 71 yard pass to Devon Smith, who ran untouched to the end zone. McGloin came back in at quarterback and eventually threw another touchdown pass to Moye.
Eastern Michigan got on the scoreboard in the fourth quarter with two field goals from Cody Fulkerson, one for 21 yards and the other for 22 yards. Penn State added a field goal in the fourth quarter to make the final score a 34-6 Penn State victory.
This was the first game for Penn State head coach Joe Paterno on the sideline this season after Paterno was injured during a preseason practice. The victory was also the 404th of his coaching career.
Eastern Michigan will return home to host the Akron Zips to open up Mid-American Conference action. Kickoff is at 1 p.m. at Rynearson Stadium.