Clarke influenced by family

During the course of its current season, the Eastern Michigan University women’s soccer team’s performance has led to a 0-9-1 record with eight games left.

Sophomore Stephanie Clarke was able to speak on their current state of mind.

“A season like this one definitely draws all of us together because the only way to get through a time like this is to go through it holding hands with one another,” Clarke said. “We’ll only be able to pull us out of this slump by working
together.”

In her second year playing for the Eagles, Clarke came from London, Ontario and started all twelve games last season she has continued to start in every game this year.

She is influenced a lot by her family, who shows up at many of her games, including their recent home game.

“I appreciate all the support that they give me through good times and bad,” Clarke said. “They always keep me positive and get me through times of frustration and struggle.”

While her family might not be able to make every game, she considers every member of her soccer team to be equally close to family.

“I’m extremely close to my team, we get along very well, especially because we have a smaller squad,” Clarke said. “We all love to joke around together.”

Currently in her second year at EMU, the biology major enjoys her days here, using her spare time to play other sports besides soccer.

“I would either be playing tennis, basketball or doing figure skating,” Clarke said. “I had played these sports competitively.”

Last year, Clarke posted the second most points on the team with 14, scoring four goals and dishing out six assists in a three-game stretch.

Clarke has played soccer since the age of 4 and considers her family to be the reason for much of her motivations and decisions.

“My family is a huge influence on the person I am today,” Clarke said. “They give me the strength to get through each and every day.”

Although Clarke’s family displays obvious support, Clarke’s favorite times occur when she is with her team.

“Some of my favorite things I like to do with my team are definitely team dinners when all of us basically order the entire menu and watch movies on ridiculously long bus rides.” Clarke said.

With the season in full stride, the EMU forward was more than willing to look ahead, providing her dedication to the team with an ecstatic reaction, “Of course I’ll be here next year!”

To catch Clarke on the field, the Eagles’ next game is against Buffalo at 1 p.m. Sunday on Scicluna field.