Cross-County runs well versus top-tier tems

Men’s

The Eastern Michigan University men’s cross-country team placed 20th with 501 points in the Notre Dame Invitational in South Bend, Ind.

The top finisher for the Eagles was senior Austin Hendrix, who finished in 58th place with a time of 25:02.
Eleven places behind, yet only eight seconds apart from Hendrix was junior Terefe Ejigu, finishing in 69th place with a time of 25:10. Sophomore Grzegorz Kalinowski finished with a time of 25:42 finishing in 121st place. Senior Cole Sanservino was 130th (25:48) and sophomore Daryl Smith was 142nd (25:59).

Finishing in first place in a field of 205 participants was senior Miles Batty of Brigham Young University with a time of 23:59.

For team results, No. 14 BYU finished first with 46 points.

The national event featured some of the top cross-country teams in the nation, including No. 3 Stanford, No. 10 Florida State and No. 12 Princeton.

“This was the most difficult, intense, competitive national level cross-country race this team has faced,” coach John Goodridge said. “This experience teaches what the demands of national level competition are and now it is up to us to respond to that challenge.”

The Eagles will be back in action for the Guelph Invitational at 10 a.m. Oct. 15 in Guelph, Ontario.

Women’s

The Eastern Michigan Women’s cross-country team finished in 12th place with 347 points in the Greater Louisville Classic on Saturday in Louisville, Ky..

This tournament included 30 teams and a couple of the top tier teams in the nation, such as, Michigan, Ferris State, Ole Miss, Purdue, South Florida and Alabama.

Freshman, Victoria Voronko placed in 13th place out of a field of 262 participants with a time of 17:23.30 on the 5000-meter course. Junior Morgan Churchwell was 34th with a time of 17:45.98.

Junior, Rachel Quaintance was the third best runner out of five in this tournament, finishing in 84th (18:22.85). Junior Courtney Calka finished 96th (18:26.12), while senior Beverly Elcock finished in 132nd place with a time of 18:42.98.
Senior Lydia Kosgei from Eastern Kentucky placed first with a time of 16:51.12.

The University of Michigan won the tournament with an average time of 17:23.31 and a total of 81 points.

The Women’s Cross-Country team will return to action at 4 p.m. October 14 for the Ball State Invitational in Muncie, Ind.