EMU Aviation expands to Lansing

Eastern Michigan University’s aviation program is spreading its wings farther than before as its aviation partner, the EMU Eagle Flight Center, expands its flight-training program to the Lansing community.

“I am so excited,” said Pam Tobin, newly appointed general manager and assistant chief flight instructor at the Lansing center. “It’s a situation that has been long overdue.”

Tobin previously served as chief flight instructor, program director and aviation recruiter for Baker College and Lansing Community College. She said the program at LCC was under-equipped regarding resources, but she is looking forward to working for the new flight program in Lansing.

In the primary training fleet, trainees get to operate Cessna Skyhawks, some of the most technically advanced training aircrafts in the industry with perks such as glass cockpits and autopilots.

Advanced resources are not the only benefit of the new flight program. The Lansing program will occupy a state-of-the-art facility at the Capital Region International Airport.

Modeled after EMU’s established program with Eagle Flight Center at the Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti, the
Lansing program will provide students with the preparation necessary to enter the aviation industry or just learn how to fly.

The new Eagle Flight Center will not only take on college students but Lansing community residents interested in learning to fly. Community participants can work at their own pace by constructing a personalized schedule without enrolling at EMU.

Professor Philip Tartalone, coordinator of the EMU aviation management program, will look after the curriculum in Lansing, which includes topics such as aerodynamics, crew resource management, aviation law, aircraft systems and other advanced aviation topics.

“The people in the Eagle Flight training are some of the best I’ve ever met,” Tobin said.

The EMU program presents a variety of flight experiences, such as its Venture Learning programs, which introduce students to real-life flight scenarios and cross-country flights during school breaks.

For the introductory flight lesson, students get the chance to fly over places like Michigan State University’s Spartan Stadium as well as over their own houses.

Recently, Eagle Flight has been designated a Cessna Pilot by Cessna Aircraft, allowing students to train by utilizing Cessna’s integrated training system. The system combines ground and flight instruction with an interactive online course, reducing the time and cost of performing private and instrument ratings.

There are ten students and six community learners enrolled in the Lansing program, and the winter semester anticipates increasing numbers. The program gives students the option of a four-year bachelor of science degree, while they are acquiring their pilot ratings and certificates.

Graduates of EMU’s program have obtained jobs at American Eagle Airlines, Mesaba Airlines, ExpressJet Airlines, Kalitta Air, the U.S. Navy, the U.S. Air Force and other various operators and carriers.

“Every day I’m getting phone calls (about the program),” Tobin said.