EMU Michigan MAC Champions for first time since '08

A 50-yard run into the end zone by Javonti Greene with 7:46 to play set the Eagles up for a 14-10 Homecoming victory Saturday over the Western Michigan Broncos.

With the win, the Eagles hold possession of the Michigan MAC Trophy, which is given to the Michigan MAC team that defeats the other two teams in Michigan. This season, EMU went 2-0 in the rivalry games while WMU went 1-0 and Central finished last with a 0-2 among the Michigan MAC teams. This marks the first time since the 2008 season that the Eagles sit atop the state.

It took all of the first quarter and four minutes into the second before either team was able to put points on the board, but a 50-yard pass from junior quarterback Alex Gillett to Greene put the Eagles up 7-0. The Eagles would hold off Western for the remaining 11:13 of the first half to take that lead into the locker room.

WMU was able to make the first score of the second half with a 46-yard touchdown run from Tevin Drake. Later on, in the fourth quarter, a field goal gave the Broncos their first lead of the game, 10-7, with 10:59 left to play.

However, Greene came up big for the Eagles with a 50-yard run to put the Eagles up 14-10 with 7:46 remaining. With the help of Lattarius Thomas and Nate PoaPoa, the Eagle defense was able to force a three-and-out to put the ball in the hands of their offense for the final 4:56 of the game and seal the victory for EMU.

The Eagles will now have a by-week as they prepare to take on Ball State on Saturday, November 5 at Rynearson Stadium. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m.