MAC meet awaits cross country teams

At 10 a.m. Saturday in Muncie, Ind., the men’s cross country team is trying to repeat what it did last season, winning the Mid-American Conference championship.

In the past season, the Eagles were led by last year’s defending individual MAC champion, junior Tereje Ejigu.

Sophomore Harry Dixon and senior Austin Hendrix have returned this season and will need to be key runners in order to repeat this season.

Also returning from that roster are Cory Chabola, Moe Frisch, Josh George, Ian Hancke, Austin Hendrix, James Hughes, Grzegorz Kalinowski, Nate Lonsway, Nick Petro, Cole Sanservino, Daryl Smith, Matt Wines and Warren Witchell.

Coach John Goodridge said at the beginning of the season it will not be easy to repeat as MAC champions. However, with the way the team has competed this season, a repeat of winning the MAC championship should not be farfetched with the number of returning athletes.

Also at noon Saturday in Muncie, the women’s cross country team will look to improve on last season’s finish in the MAC championship race.

Last season the team finished fifth. Leading the way for the Eagles were juniors Courtney Calka, Morgan Churchwell and Rachel Quaintance, whom all have returned this season.

Also returning from last season; Cassie Coffman, Beverly Elcock, Amber Hutson, Tiffany Kincaid, Lauren Lunsford, Brooke Sciullo and Natalie Webb.

Not to mention the freshman standout who has established herself as EMU’s top runner. Victoria Voronko, who has been named MAC runner of the week twice this season, should give the team a better chance in the MAC championship.