Amanda and Katie Marsh, who were born minutes apart, have accounted for 13 points in 66 starts during their last two years.

Marsh sisters rely on each other

For the past four years, the Eastern Michigan University women’s soccer team has had consistent success with the help of twin sisters from Dexter, Mich., Amanda and Katie Marsh. They have experienced highs and lows with the Eagles.
Katie, the older of the two by several minutes, has started every game for the last three years and has been a consistent force. She was honored to have family support at every game and having her sister be on the same team.

“It is always nice to have someone you can go to no matter what,” Katie said. “Playing with her for four years has been amazing, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

Amanda, a pre-med major, has posted several winning goals and has grown to become one of the team’s top defensive players. She said having a twin in the same color uniform has contributed to the growth of her game.

“The best thing about playing with a twin is that we know each others’ style of play and habits,” Amanda said. “We aren’t afraid to be critical, but I’m also her biggest fan.”

During the course of two years, the sisters have combined for 13 points and 61 starts out of the 77 games played between them.

Currently seniors, the sisters found previous success during the earlier parts of their college careers, as they both described reaching the Mid-American Conference finals as their best achievement. Now, the responsibility of their leadership on the team is much more than it was three years ago.

“Having three years of experience really comes into play when you have such a young team as we do,” Amanda said. “Sharing my experiences with the freshmen can help to get everyone on the same page and create a successful team.”

When talking about down time, the sisters agreed on being movie lovers.

“We are big movie buffs and enjoy watching them in our down time,” Katie said.

While each sister looks toward the future of EMU soccer, assistant coach Joe Malachino reflected on having the chance to
coach the Marsh sisters.

“They’re two fantastic players both on and off the field,” Malachino said. “They’re both very good all-around players, and it’s great to see two players who balance each other out so well.”

With the EMU women’s soccer record at 0-9-2, Amanda is looking for the squad to capitalize on opportunities it is given in order to produce a better season.

“I think that we have been playing well and creating chances, and we need to find a way to score on those chances,” Amanda said.

Katie added, “Staying positive and staying together as a team is the most important aspect. It’s the true test of a team to be able to get out of a rut, and I believe we are about to break through.”

For some students, the college experience can get a little lonely and cause some homesickness, but for these sisters, family support and having each other on the same campus makes the transition that much easier.

“It’s very comforting to have family support,” Amanda said. “I always have a built-in best friend in my sister and our
parents are very close and make it to every game, even when we travel, and I’m very blessed to have an amazing sister.”

While their lasting effect on the team will always be remembered, with Katie earning the honors of second team All-MAC and third team All-Region, and Amanda posting previous game winning goals on top of her defensive strengths, the sisters have made impressions no one can ignore.

“They’re amazing kids that compete day in and day out,” coach Scott Hall said. “I’ve never coached a better pair, and it’s amazing to watch their work ethic.”

And not to mention their performance in the classroom as well.

“The Marsh twins are nothing short of excellent, and to watch them work off the field is just as amazing on the field, and
I’m sure they bleed green,” Hall said.

While the game of soccer has stuck with the sisters, living with a sibling has had its share of ups and downs.

“Life growing up with a twin was interesting to say the least,” Amanda said. “We had some separate interests but were always close.”

During high school, the sisters both achieved four varsity letters, along with several first team All-State selections while leading their team to three consecutive state semifinals wins.

When it was time to take that next step in life, the Marsh sisters embraced each other all the more. From pushing those trigger buttons that no one else knows about to pushing each other to limits that no one else knows they can achieve, these sisters can’t imagine college life with out their better half.

“When we came to college, our love-hate relationship was amplified,” Amanda said. “I always have a built-in best friend and someone that I know will be in my corner no matter what. But after 21 years of living together we also know how to push each others buttons and we tend to argue. Overall, though, having Katie here made the transition to college much easier, and I can’t imagine going to a different university without her.”