Men's cross country repeats in MAC

The Eastern Michigan University men’s cross-country team became repeat Mid-American Conference champions Saturday morning in Muncie, Ind.

The Eagles, with a team score of 68, brought home their 16th MAC Championship in program history.

Leading the way for EMU was junior Tereje Ejigu, who finished in second place with a time
of 24:16.0.

The individual winner of the MAC Championship run was Tecumseh Adams from Central Michigan
(24:01.6). As a team, CMU finished second with a score of 78.

Two runners finished in the top 10 for EMU. Ejigu earned a place on first team All-MAC after his performance, and freshman Daryl Smith was ninth in 24:47.3.

John Goodridge, who was named the 2011 MAC coach of the year for the second consecutive season and seventh in his EMU career, said he was very pleased with Saturday’s performance.

“Winning a conference championship is always a special collegiate experience,” he said. “I’m very proud of this team and happy for them that they added another chapter to the tradition of this great program.”

Women finish fifth; Voronko takes fourth place

The women’s team placed in fifth this season with a score of 89, while the MAC champion in Muncie ended up being Toledo with a score of 33.

Leading the way for the Eagles was freshman Victoria Voronko as she finished in fourth place with a time of 20:57.9, earning first team All-MAC honors.

Juniors Courtney Calka and Morgan Churchwell rounded out in the top 20 for Eastern. Calka was 13th (21:35.9) and Churchwell finished17th (21:46.8).