Midfielder provides offense, competitive attitude for team

As an accomplished senior, Chelsea Detrick is no stranger to soccer. In fact, playing in all 12 games this season has definitely shown its benefits.

Detrick, who is a 5-foot-4 forward and midfielder for the Eastern Michigan University women’s soccer team and sports the No. 17, provides a lot of good qualities for her team and for the game.

“Chelsea brings pace and a competitive attitude to the team,” said coach Scott Hall, in his 13th year leading the team. “As high-paced as she is on the field, she is pretty laid-back off the field.”

Starting as a freshman in 2008, Detrick played in all 23 games and was named to the Mid-American Conference All-Freshman team. She also led the MAC in goals (11) and points (24). Detrick was also picked as the MAC women’s soccer player of the week for the week of Sept. 22.

That was the first time she had ever won the award, and it was the first time an EMU player had been chosen for the award since the 2005. She managed to net 11 goals her freshman year, which is the third best in EMU history.

When her sophomore year rolled around, Detrick not only played in all 21 games, but she also started in 19. She was also chosen as an Academic All-MAC selection. Detrick received a MAC player of the week award. To top off the season, she was able to net three winning goals.

In 2010, Detrick entered into her upperclassman years as a junior and also brought that high rank
to the soccer field. She scored nine points for her team, which was fourth on the team and she played, and started, in all 21 games at forward.

Since Detrick’s arrival and excellent career at EMU, Hall said, “Her mental preparation before the games has improved throughout the years at Eastern.”

Detrick, who played at Grosse Pointe North High School, has 13 shots on goal this season with no goals and no assists.

The Eagles (1-10-2, 1-4-1 MAC) will to take on Northern Illinois (2-10-2, 1-5 MAC) at 2 p.m. Friday in DeKalb Ill.