Track and field squads optimistic

Last season, the Eastern Michigan University men’s track and field team finished third in the Mid-American Conference indoor championship.

The Eagles were led by Clint Allen, who won the 60-meter dash and finished third in the 200. Brycen Spratling won the 400 and Josh George finished second in the 800. Tereje Ejigu, who won the mile run, won the 5,000 and finished third in the 3,000.

The team also finished in fourth place in last season’s MAC outdoor championship. Ejigu finished in third in the 1,500 and also won the 5,000. Spratling won the 400, and Allen won the 100 and finished third in the 200.

Spratling, George, Ejigu and Allen are returning this season, which is a good sign for coach John Goodridge and the team.

Last season the women’s track and field team won the MAC indoor championship. The Eagles were led by Ashlee Abraham, who won the 60 and 200. Shantavi Williams was third in the 400 and fourth in the 200. Rachel Quaintance won the 800, and Courtney Calka placed fifth and third place in the 3,000 and 5,000, respectively.

The Eagles also finished in second in the MAC outdoor championship, Beverly Elcock finished in sixth place in the 1,500-meter run, Williams won the 400, and Abraham won the 100.

Sophomore standout Abraham is not on the roster for this season. However, Williams, Quaintance, Calka and Elcock will all be returning this season and coach Sue Parks thinks like they have a “good nucleus despite losing some points from last year.”