Volunteering kicks off

Eastern Michigan University and the United Way are holding the EMU United Way Kick-Off Campaign beginning at 8:15 a.m. Tuesday in the Student Center Ballroom. It will be running until Nov. 18.

“Eastern Michigan University has a great tradition of supporting this community and United Way is a part of that tradition,” said Kevin Kucera, Associate Vice President of Student Affairs and Enrollment Management.

The kick-off gathers EMU faculty who volunteer to help the United Way collect pledges and facilitate information for the campaign. The event also allows Eastern Michigan faculty an opportunity to learn about the campaign and hear about the people that have been helped.

The money is raised for nonprofit health and human service organizations throughout Washtenaw County. There are six focus areas the campaign helps: early childhood care and education, school-aged youth, hunger relief, homelessness and housing, senior assistance and safety-net health.

“United Way has partnered with other funders to support 40 nonprofit organizations that help people,” said Kucera, this year’s United Way Kick-Off Campaign chairperson.

EMU’s goal is $105,000, up from $100,000 last year. The county goal this year is $5,750,000.
United Way is advertising through Heritage Papers, annarbor.com and on Cumulus Radio Stations to raise awareness for the campaign.

The theme for this year’s kick-off event is superheroes — helping recognize how someone can be a hero in someone else’s life.