Cross country takes 16th

The Eastern Michigan University men’s cross country team finished in 16th place with 442 points in the 2011 NCAA Great Lakes Regional, hosted by the University of Toledo.

The winning team of the NCAA Great Lakes Regional turned out to be Wisconsin, which finished with 50 points. The individual winner of the Regional was sophomore Callum Hawkins from Butler who finished with a time of 30:01.5.

Leading the way for the Eagles was junior Tereje Ejigu who finished in 27th place with a time of 30:56.8. Placing in 44th in this field of 211 participants for EMU was freshman Daryl Smith, in 31:23.8.

Other notable finishers for the Eagles included senior Cole Sanservino who finished in 113th place with a time of 32:36.3 and senior Austin Hendrix, who finished the 10,000-meter course with a time of 32:51.2 for 121st.

EMU’s women’s team was also a participant in the regional, placing 13th overall.

Last season the Eagles finished in 18th place in the NCAA Great Lakes Regional. The winner of the regional this year was Michigan with 45 points, and the individual winner was senior Danielle Tauro out of Michigan with a time of 20:27.9.

Freshman Victoria Voronko led the way for the Eagles finishing in 36th place with a time of 21:29.2. Finishing 74th was junior Courtney Calka (22:08.3).

Neither the men’s nor the women’s team qualified for the NCAA Championship.