EMU vs. MSU, what will it take for them to make it?

EMU’s bench game key to win over MSU

The Eagles have come out this season to a mixed start. They hold a 2-1 record, with a lot of their play displaying a consistent team effort. In each of their wins they have outscored opponents 179-174 through each of their games this season. Leading the way in scoring is Darrell Lampley, who recently scored a season-high 21 points against Arkansas-Little Rock.

Lampley’s individual effort, although impressive, does not determine an Eagle victory, as bench production comes through. During each of the Eagles’ victories, the bench has outscored opponents 29-22. Executing double-digit scoring from the Eagles’ bench has created victories for the Eagles. If the bench production can rise to the occasion against the Spartans, their plays will become key to victory.

The Eagles’ defense is as strong as possible, displaying favorable statistics. EMU’s opponents average 19 turnovers. Their pressure has created the opportunities needed for the offense to score, having eight steals per game. Along with three blocks per game the Eagles will look to shut down MSU from the tip-off.

Second-half heroics come into play as well, as EMU has been outscored by its opponents during first-halfs by a narrow margin, but come to outscore their opponents 104-93 during the second half.

EMU’s offense has displayed consistent scoring based off great play calling, as 68 of its 179 points have come in the paint. Developing plays and holding possession for the ball has provided EMU with its victories. If coach Murphy can coach in similar fashion to previous victories, the Eagles will pull away for a win against the Spartans.

EMU will also have home-court advantage coming into the game with the season just starting; the attendance is looking to reach more than 1,000 students to root for the Eagles, providing the spark needed for them to get past the Spartans on Nov. 27.

Appling, speed could win game for Spartans

While Michigan State might have been known for its dominating basketball program in recent years, this year has displayed anything but that in its opening games.

Coming off of a 1-2 start, the Spartans will have to look back at previous success to achieve further success if they want to get past the Eagles.
MSU will look for sophomore guard Keith Appling to lead the team’s scoring once more.

He has led the team in points in each game this season. His ability to reach the rim should play as a key factor. Along with forward Draymond Green, MSU seeks to beat EMU in the paint.

The Spartans are looking to catch stride with their recent victory over Texas Southern. Scoring an average of 67 points and averaging 44 rebounds, the Spartans are attempting to play at a faster pace and attempt to overtake EMU.

While stats between the Spartans and Eagles are much of the same, the key difference the Spartans will look to capitalize on are total points. MSU currently possess 200 points, while EMU is more then 20 points behind.

MSU’s keys to victory will come from spreading the ball. With 13 assists per game, the Spartans should try to generate offense from spreading the ball out.
Led by Draymond, MSU’s point of attack should come from the senior forward.

MSU’s final key to victory might come from Tom Izzo. The hall of fame coach can use his experience to get past the Eagles and create a strategy against EMU.
If Izzo can coach at the high levels that provided previous successes in the NCAA, look for the Spartans to walk away with the victory.