EMU begins Murphy era with 68-57 Win

With the final buzzer sounding off on a 68-57 victory for Eastern Michigan University over the University of Illinois-Chicago, the Rob Murphy era got off to an excellent and positive start.
Junior guard Derek Thompson led EMU in the scoring with 17 points with Darrell Lampley shooting for 12 points. Junior center Matt Balkema fouled out late in the second half but contributed 10 points for EMU. Senior center Kamil Janton came off the bench to lead the team in total rebounds (7) with six of them on defense.
The Eagles returned eight letter winners and three returning seniors. They entered with three newcomers, two of which are transfer players. Redshirt sophomore guard Austin Harper transferred from Glen Oaks Community College while guard Anthony Strickland was eligible to play after sitting out last season after coming from Adrian College.
This game was the head coaching debut for Murphy, a Detroit native that graduated from Mumford High School and went to Central State University for college. He was a coach throughout the Detroit Public Schools system and later was an assistant coach at Kent State and Syracuse before being hired by Eastern Michigan. He said he has had a great experience since taking the coaching position at EMU.
“It’s a wonderful opportunity for me and I’m excited each and every day about it and we have huge support here,” Murphy said.
EMU got the scoring going right away with the first two points of the game. Both teams battled for the lead with EMU taking a six point lead with less than two minutes left until halftime. UIC scored five points to cut the EMU lead to one point with a 27-26 halftime lead.
Illinois-Chicago then came out and took a seven point lead after four minutes into the second half. EMU began chipping away at the lead with a combination of free throws and layups inside the paint.
Eastern Michigan took the lead for good with Antonio Green tipping the ball in with less than eight minutes to play. Foul trouble for UIC made the Eastern Michigan lead even bigger with EMU going on to win with a final score of 68-57.
“Our guys hung in there and stuck together and continue to fight,” said Murphy. “They all had some confidence that we will win the game.
Murphy looks back at his head coaching debut as an up and down experience.
“I’ve learned from the best coaches of all time in Jim Boeheim that you stick with your game plan and more times than not you may come out on top,” said Murphy.
The next home game for Eastern Michigan takes place on Nov. 18 against Arkansas-Little Rock for a 7 p.m. tipoff.