Wrestling goes 2-1 in tourney

Coming off of a victory against Michigan State University on the road, the Eastern Michigan University wrestling team traveled to the Northeastern Regional tournament. The Eagles took on three opponents: Sacred Heart, Bucknell and Binghamton University.

EMU had a strong performance, taking home a 2-1 record on the day, which began with a victory over SHU. The Eagles dominated the entire match, winning six of seven bouts to began the match and walking away with 49-3.

The Eagles moved past the Sacred Heart Pioneers with victories from a number of seniors: Jared Germaine (125), Andrew Novak (133), and Wes Schroeder (HWT). Three of the Eagles’ eight victories were by forfeit.

The second match featured the Eagles taking on Bucknell. The same wrestlers who took victories against SHU walked away with second victories including Germaine (125) and Philip Joseph (174). While Bucknell could pull away few wins from the Eagles, EMU finished with 35-9, winning three of eight by fall.

EMU entered its third bout on a 3-0 streak, including the winning performance from Michigan State University. The Eagles lost their final match against No. 24 ranked Binghamton 22-12.

The Eagles took an early 9-0 lead against Binghamton, having Germaine and Novak end the day with a perfect 3-0 record. The match turned as BU’s Justin Lister took a decision over Aaron Sulzer to take a 10-9 lead. From there Binghamton took a back-and-forth match, and the Eagles took a 2-1 win on the day along with a 3-1 record on the current season.

Thursday, the Eagles will travel to Cleveland to face off against Cleveland State University. It will be the final road match before coming back to the Bowen Field House.