HIV testing at EMU changes location

Eric Ward, a health education coordinator at Eastern Michigan University’s Wellness Center, spoke at the student government meeting Tuesday night, explaining the philosophy behind EMU’s free HIV testing.

According to EMU’s website, human immunodeficiency virus is the virus that causes acquired immune deficiency syndrome, though an HIV infection does not guarantee the development of AIDS. This virus could be passed from one person to another by contact of infected blood, semen or vaginal secretion with an uninfected person’s broken skin or mucous membranes, which are tissues found at certain openings of the body. Pregnant women also can pass HIV to their baby during pregnancy, delivery or breastfeeding.

Ward promoted a non-judgmental environment where the name of the person getting tested is not even asked. In the clinic, a random number is assigned to the patient for the day he or she comes in.

“One of the highlights of my day is to have interaction with people, helping them do what we call harm reduction…” Ward
said. “We don’t try to tell you, or individuals tested with us, how to live your life. We will simply acknowledge a risk exists and concurs and try to tell them ‘here’s ways you can reduce that risk so you can be safe with what you are doing health-practice wise.’ ”

A member of the student government asked if any type of sexual health training was offered, such as promotion of safe-sex or abstinence.

“For myself, I do a lot of presentations [regarding sexual options] I suppose, and I’ll go to a classroom and I talk about everything, for better or for worse, but we see where you’re at, we would offer every option,” Ward said.

“We don’t endorse one over the other because it is all about you and what you’re comfortable with, what does your religion have or your belief system, and we talk about that. If that is your reality, then that is how we work on reducing your risk of harm given that is your situation.”

Orasure, an oral test, is offered, which means no needles are used. The clinic is open to HIV testing on Thursdays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Testing is anonymous and on a walk-in basis.

Ward also thanked the student government for its financial support for the testing, and asked it about publicizing the move of the office from the third floor to the first floor of Snow Health Center starting sometime early next semester.