Movies to occupy yourself during holiday break

Is the lack of snow for the holidays getting you down? Well, there might just be a solution to that problem, with a little help from the home theater right in your living room.

There are holiday movies and then there are movies to get you through the holiday season. Now, whether you are looking for something to giggle at with family by your side or something a little more tear-inducing to watch by yourself snuggled up in a blanket, look no further for your recommendations.

To start the season off right would be a laugh-fest that is goofy and covered in red and green — “Elf,” starring Will Ferrell. It is a fun-filled comedy about a 30 year-old man who was raised by elves but is actually a human. After he finds this out, he goes on the hunt for his real father. This is not only a family-friendly film, but it is also wholesome and hilarious. “Elf” is definitely something you should put on your holiday movie list.

After all the laughter and tears from laughing so hard, give “The Family Stone” a try next. Now, to warn you, it is a tear-jerker, but it is worth the tears. It plays host to an all-star cast including: Sarah Jessica Parker, Dermot Mulroney, Diane Keaton, Craig T. Nelson, Claire Daines and many more. Mulroney plays Keaton and Nelson’s son, who brings home his girlfriend, Parker, for Christmas to introduce her to his family before he proposes. Yet, a twist in the plot switches up the game so much that it will jerk your emotions in every direction. This story represents what family should be like and what it actually is in one tale.

Keeping in the theme of the importance of family, next in order should be “It’s a Wonderful Life,” starring James Stewart and Donna Reed, a 1940s classic. Stewart plays a terribly frustrated businessman who is met by an angel who can help him see what life would be like if he were never born and realizes just what it means to be a part of this world. This tale is a valuable one for anyone who sees the holidays as a trying time, which is pretty much everyone. Throw this in the DVD player and take it in this holiday season.

Now for a personal favorite, “The Holiday,” a heart-melting tale that displays every side of love in the most realistic way. Kate Winslet, Jack Black, Cameron Diaz and Jude Law star this film that will have you laughing one minute and crying the next. It is by far one of the happiest love stories in history, so the tears will be happy ones. Diaz and Winslet decide to do what is called a “home exchange” which is when two people trade houses, cars, everything. Each meet people that will change their lives forever and that’s not even when it gets interesting.

So, there it is ladies and gentlemen, a list of films to get you through this holiday season and every holiday season to follow. From the goofy to the serious, this list creates a world of realistic to wholesome which is something person needs this time of year. The importance of family and love booms through each of these films, in each of their own ways. Get those reels turning and have a great holiday season from us here at _The Eastern Echo