Be aware of human trafficking

On Monday, Jan. 9, the Women’s Resource Center kicked off Human Trafficking Awareness Month with an informative panel on the issue.

Reverend Bonita Laudeman, Danielle Hodgson and Special Agent with Homeland Security Investigations, Cara Rose, made up the panelists who discussed the dangers of human trafficking and what can be done to stop it.

Human trafficking is force, fraud or coercion of human beings for the purpose of commercial sex or forced labor.
Men, women, and children are trafficked across international borders each year for the purpose of being used in the international sex trade or being forced into labor.

Human trafficking is not just a problem in foreign nations, it is occurring in the United States, even in Michigan.

Human trafficking often starts with coercion of a victim with false promises of well-paying jobs and a better life. The victims are often trafficked to foreign countries where they are unfamiliar with their surroundings and cannot speak the language.

Traffickers take away the victims’ travel documents and forms of identification, promising harm to the victims themselves or their friends and family if they try to escape. Then traffickers force the victims to work in prostitution, sweat shops, agricultural fields and other labor markets to work off a false debt.

Panelist Cara Rose talked about the role Homeland Security plays in stopping human trafficking and helping victims.
A branch of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), works with partners in law enforcement to bring down the global “industry” of human trafficking.

ICE makes full use of authorities and expertise, strips away assets and profit incentive, collaborates with U.S. partners and partners in other nations to destroy international networks, and works with nongovernmental organizations to identify, rescue and assist victims of trafficking.

There are certain signs that indicate a person might be a victim of human trafficking. These signs include the victim not being in possession of identification and travel documents, being coached on what to say to law enforcement, not being allowed to freely contact friends or family members, being forced to perform sexual acts and being threatened with harm or deportation.

Identifying and rescuing victims is just as important to law enforcement as the prosecution of traffickers. If a foreign victim is identified, their immigration status is not even asked by law enforcement. If it does come up that a victim was illegally brought into the U.S., short-term immigration relief is given to victims by way of a T-Visa or U-Visa.

There are different punishments established for crimes in human trafficking. Traffickers convicted of sex trafficking face 20 years imprisonment that can be increased to life when kidnapping is also involved. A $20,000 fine is added to the charges when coercion is used.

Producing sexually abusive activity or material, including the creation of child pornography, is punishable with up to 20 years in prison and up to a $100,000 fine. Those who facilitate in trafficking by assisting, enabling or benefiting from sex trafficking are subject to 10 years imprisonment. Facilitators might face additional punishments under racketeering and money laundering statutes.

Human trafficking is the second fastest growing crime behind drug trafficking, grossing $33 billion a year. Panelist Danielle Hodgson founded the Hope for Freedom Walk to raise money for victims of human trafficking. This year will mark the third year of the Hope for Freedom Walk.

Hodgson’s other efforts include marking bars of soap with red stickers featuring a message about human trafficking, along with a number to call for help. These bars of soap were donated to motels, places where victims are often forced to sell their bodies several times a day. These bars of soap helped save the lives of some victims by giving them a number to call and get help.

“Even if we feel overwhelmed, remember that even helping one person makes a difference,” Hodgson said.

The students of EMU can take steps to stop human trafficking. One of the most important steps is to look through a new set of eyes. Students should know that human trafficking can happen anywhere and is probably happening in their area or an area near them. Suspicious activity can be reported to 1-866-DHS-2-ICE (1-866-347-2423).

Education is also a vital step in stopping human trafficking. Students should educate those around them on what human trafficking is and rally support for the cause. Currently, a student group focused on the rescue of victims and abolition of human trafficking is in the process of being formed at EMU.

Panelist Reverend Bonita Laudeman believes that it is the current generation of young people that have the ability to group together and bring human trafficking to an end.

“I applaud you because I believe this is the generation that will abolish this atrocity,” Reverend Laudeman said.

Students can also call or write state Senators and remind them of the special attention that needs to be placed on destroying human trafficking systems in Michigan.

Human Trafficking Awareness Month continues throughout the remainder of January with three film screenings on designated dates in the Student Center. Jan. 11, “Very Young Girls,” will be shown in second floor Ballroom B, on Jan.19, “Miss Representation” in the second floor Auditorium and on Jan. 23, “Sex Money” in second floor Ballroom B. All films will begin at 7 p.m.

Jess Klein, program coordinator for the Women’s Resource Center, was pleased at the success of the kick-off of Human Trafficking Awareness Month. January is also Stalking Awareness Month but this year the Women’s Center decided to solely focus on human trafficking because it plays such a large role in violence against women.

“Stop feeling guilty and start feeling responsible,” Klein said. “Do something.”

For more information on human trafficking visit the Women’s Resource Center in 356 Student Center, visit their website at emich.edu/wcen, or call the center at (734) 487-4282.