Eagles lose 65-47 to Buffalo

Slow start after halftime too much to overcome

The Eastern Michigan University men’s basketball team lost 65-47 on the road to the University of Buffalo Tuesday.

The Eagles are 9-11 overall (4-2 MAC). The loss also runs EMU’s road record to 4-8.

Senior guard Darrell Lampley led the Eagles in scoring with 14. He also grabbed four rebounds and was 6-of-14 on field goals. Quentin Dailey helped off the bench scoring 10 points with four rebounds while DeShonte Riley led the defensive effort with seven blocks.

For the Bulls (11-6, 4-2 MAC) Javon McCrea had 17 points and three rebounds while Zach Filson scored 16 points and also had three rebounds.

The game was close at halftime, with EMU only down one point, 24-23, but the second half fell apart as the Eagles could not keep up with the Bulls. Eastern was outscored 41-24, leading to the 18-point loss.

Field goal shooting was a problem, as the Eagles only made 34 percent of their shots. Three-point buckets were also hard to buy, as EMU only made 2-of-14 shots from the three-point line.

Buffalo also had a couple of runs to put the game out of reach. The Bulls went on a 15-3 run at the start of the game to take an early 15-5 lead and also started the second half with a 20-7 run that lasted almost nine minutes.

Buffalo didn’t stop there, extending the lead until it put it in cruise control after building a 16-point lead late in the game.

Statistically, Buffalo outplayed EMU, shooting 45 percent on field goals, making 42 percent of its three-pointers and out-rebounding the Eagles 32-24. One bright spot of the night was that the Eagles making 81 percent of their free throws, going 13-16 from the line.

Despite the loss, and its 9-11 record, EMU still holds onto the lead for the MAC West title after Ball State lost to Akron.

The Eagles’ next game is against another MAC foe in the Falcons of Bowling Green. Tip-off is set for 6 p.m. Saturday at the Convocation Center.