New late fees take effect

Students wonder if it is too much

Eastern Michigan University’s late registration fee is more than double the University of Michigan’s. This fee was less than $100 until July 14, 2004.

According EMU’s website, “The new fees include: a $10 course drop fee, a $12 general education fee, a $100 late add fee, a $100 late registration fee, a $75 record initiation fee, a $125 student teaching fee and a $5 fee for transcripts.”

The fee increased to $125 this past June, according to the Board of Regents.

Comparatively, University of Michigan reports on their website that, “Beginning the first day of classes for a term a $50.00 late registration fee will be assessed for students who have not previously registered for that term. The late registration fee is increased by $25.00 at the beginning of each subsequent month.”

The discrepancy between U of M’s and EMU’s late fees upset some students.

Elgin Avila, freshman at EMU, was surprised by the differences.

“We are supposed to be a cheaper school,” she said. “It’s crazy that the fees are more than double than U of M.”

Despite the fact she registered on time, Jennifer Siszar, a freshman at EMU, was shocked to hear that the fees were so high.
“That’s crap. It’s outrageous, because we are all students and broke already,” she said. “It’s great that they think that [classes are] worth it, but that just doesn’t seem fair. They shouldn’t make students pay that much. I just didn’t even know.”

Michael Hague, Executive Director of Business Services at EMU, said, “The purpose of the late registration fee is to encourage students to register early, or at least before the semester begins, so that decisions can be made regarding class size and canceling classes. It also allows the bill and financial aid to be correct at the beginning of the semester.”
U of M students might qualify for late fee exemptions.

According to U of M’s website, “Exceptions to the late registration fee are made only if a registration is late because of a documentable University policy, action or error. Common exceptions include: late admissions, Ph. D. candidates registering to defend their dissertation in a Spring/Summer term, non-degree seeking students.”

As to exemptions at EMU, Hague said “There are very few waivers allowed.”

This semester, EMU waived the late registration fee for one week. According to Vice President for Communications Walter Kraft, it was an effort to increase the number of students staying in school during the winter semester.

“We understand that some students who took classes this fall may face challenges in registering for the new term. They may have work, financial or other personal situations that made registering before the start of classes on Monday difficult,” Kraft said via email. “We didn’t want to let a late fee stand in their way of continuing to pursue a degree.”