Sophomore forward's game runs in family

Following in the footsteps of her mother and father is what got Olivia Fouty basketball.

Fouty’s father played basketball for two years at Owens Community College and her mother played when she was younger.

Fouty, who began playing basketball in the first grade, is now a sophomore forward for Eastern Michigan University.

The native of Toledo, Ohio, graduated from Sylvania Northview High School. While there, Fouty garnered a number of accolades. After her freshmen season, she was named to the Northern Lakes League second-team and District Seven honorable mention team. She earned honorable mention All-Ohio her junior and sophomore seasons, and at the end of her senior season, she earned a spot on the All-Ohio third-team.

In that time, Fouty also played basketball in the Amateur Athletic Union and was on a team with fellow Eagle Natacia Watkins.

“I’ve known Olivia for quite some time now,” Watkins said. “We played AAU together for like two years. Before I arrived at Eastern, I knew her and we actually took our official visit together. So we’re like best friends.”

Coming to EMU for college was a fairly easy decision for Fouty, who visited schools like Youngstown State, Indiana State and St. Bonaventure. However, after visiting Eastern’s campus she knew exactly where she wanted to be.

“I liked it because it’s close to home,” Fouty said. “I really liked the coaching staff and the team; they get a long really well. When I came, they just had so much fun and bonded really well. I had a really good time on my visit and that’s why I chose this school.”

In her first year at EMU, Fouty made an appearance in 34 games. She averaged 2.1 points and 2.9 rebounds. She finished with eight assists, eight blocks and 15 steals on the season. She also showed everyone what she does best, provide a spark of energy that is unique to her.

“Liv is the most energetic person I have ever met,” teammate Amber Bogard said.
During the off season, Fouty spent time in the gym conditioning, working on her ball-handling skills and boosting confidence in her shooting ability.

Her hard work has payed off as she has started in all 17 of the Eagles’ contests. She is averaging 10 points per game on 43.9 percent shooting from the field. She averages 8.3 rebounds and tied the team’s season-high 18 rebounds on Jan. 2 against Wyoming.

Fouty has blocked 11 shots this season while grabbing 24 steals. She has also sank three triples so far this season.

“This summer I worked a lot, I ran a lot and conditioned,” Fouty said. “I worked a lot in the gym. Ball handling, I can push the ball better in transition, and I feel like I’m a little bit of a better outside shooter than last year, maybe not better but more confident at least. I’m not afraid to shoot the three or the elbow jumper.”

Not only has she improved on the statistic sheets but she has become a leader on this Eagles squad.

“She is a leader to me, and she can push you,” Bogard said. “She pushes me because I have to guard her most of the time in practice so she’s making me a better player.”

Fouty enjoys being an Eagle and her teammates are part what makes her time in Ypsilanti enjoyable.

“I like how we joke around all the time,” Fouty said. “We know when to stop, but we are always laughing and having a good time, and making hard situations into fun ones. I like how everyone cares for each other. I know I would do anything for anyone on our team; we’re like a family.”

Fouty is studying General Business with a minor in Electronic Media and Film. Upon graduating from EMU she is not exactly sure what she wants to do, but she knows that basketball will always be in the picture.

“I know that I’m probably still going to want to be involved with basketball,” Fouty said. “I don’t know if I want to play overseas, I just know that I’m still going to be involved in it.”

In her down time she enjoys various activities.

From watching college basketball games and hanging out with her teammates to rollerblading and playing beach volleyball, she is ready for whatever comes her way. She also likes to spend time with her family whenever she gets the chance.

“I love my family at home,” Fouty said. “My parents are separated so I have two big families and I like being around all of them, all of my little cousins and brothers and sisters.”