Senior guard was cheerleader first

For senior guard Tavelyn James, basketball was not something that immediately caught her eye. Instead, it was cheerleading that was her main focus – until one day everything changed.

“I was actually at cheerleading practice,” James, a Detroit native said. “The boys were coming to tryout so I just figured I should tryout just because.”

The decision would eventually pay off.

James would become a high school superstar during her three years at Mackenzie High School and senior season at Mumford. The four-time all-state selection averaged 23.2 points, 3.7 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 4.4 steals per game during her senior season.

When it came time to pick a college, however, James didn’t think she had much of a choice.

“I didn’t really get into the hype about which school I should go to,” James said. “It really just came as a decision because my niece was born and I wanted to stay close.”

EMU was coming off of a successful season in Coach AnnMarie Gilbert’s first year with the team. The Eagles went 17-11 and 11-5 in the Mid-American Conference.

Gilbert was the fourth coach in MAC history to win a division title in his or her first season.

Picking EMU is a decision James would not regret.

“My favorite thing about this team (is) the players,” James said. “I love them, they’re exciting. I see them 24-hours, seven-days a week, so what is there not to like about them?”

As a freshman, James helped lead EMU to a second-consecutive winning season. James started 20 games and led the Eagles in scoring, with 14.7 points. As a result, Gilbert and the coaching staff named James as the co-MVP of the season.

But it hasn’t always been that easy for the star.

“(Coach Gilbert) stays on me probably more than anybody here,” said James. “A lot of our teammates won’t say anything to me about the things that I don’t do, and that’s one thing she will do.”

James came to EMU as a strong scorer but needed help with her defensive game, something she says has improved greatly with her time at EMU with Gilbert.

While leading the team in scoring each of her four years at EMU, James has also shown the ability to lead the team through thick and thin. No matter the situation, her teammates can look to her to be a leader.

“She brings scoring, leadership, positivity. Everything, really,” freshman guard Iesha Collins said.

“Her leadership,” Collins described as James’ best quality. “Off the court I look at her as my older sister, and on the court we look to her in any situation, especially offensively.”

Leadership and strong play in her career as an Eagle landed James on Team USA in the Pan American games.

James was the first-ever representative from the MAC to be selected for USA’s roster.

The team competed in Guadalajara, Mexico from Oct. 21-25. While the results were not the best, James still showed she could compete with anyone.

In a game against Jamaica, James had 19 points and 5 assists in 30 minutes of play. She would finish second on the team in scoring with 9.8 PPG.

While James has been extremely successful on the court (she holds the EMU record for points in a season), she’s also received praise off the court.

The MAC named James Scholar Athlete of the week twice in 2009-10.

What most don’t know, however, is James excels at a lifelong skill off of the court.
“I know how to cook very well,” James said. “(My) favorite dishes are mac and cheese and candied yams.”

Teammates agree.

“She can cook very, very, very well,” Collins said.