Beneficial new format for summer

Summer is right around the corner and what better way to enjoy your sunny afternoons than acquiring knowledge in the classroom? Some might wonder why anyone would spend their summer days with their head buried in books.

“Many students take summer classes to get ahead enabling them to graduate in an appropriate timeline of four years,” said Calvin McFarland, Director of Academic Advising.

The summer semester provides a great opportunity for students not only to put their education on the fast track, but to take their free time to concentrate on what might otherwise be a challenging subject.

“Students may want to take courses that they feel are difficult for them and mainly focus on that particular course during that time,” McFarland said.

The new summer semester will last from May to August, and “registration will be exactly the same,” despite recent changes.

“It is a 16 week semester same as Fall & Winter semesters,” McFarland said.

For a full listing of the classes being offered during the summer semester, visit emich.edu.
When choosing classes, money can certainly pose a problem for many students.

“Many students choose to stay on campus and take courses during the summer if the course selection is beneficial for them,” McFarland said.

However, “many students return home because of summer employment or just to be home and take classes at their local community college,” which could offer a cheaper alternative.

The same types of aid are awarded during summer as what is offered in fall and winter, namely
grants, loans and work-study. To acquire financial aid, students must fill out an application.

The Summer Financial Aid Application, formerly known as the Spring/ Summer Financial Aid
Application, has been available since February 15 and must be submitted before April 10.

Financial aid is rewarded on a first come first serve basis.

According to Cynthia Van Pelt, Director of the Office of Financial Aid, the form is “basically a notification to our office that they plan to enroll in summer classes and wish to be considered for financial aid.”

“Students must already have a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file. For students planning to enroll this summer 2012 semester, the 2011-12 FAFSA and the Summer Financial Aid Application are needed for aid consideration.”

The form inquires about additional awards and assistance being received as well as plans to study abroad.

Now that spring and summer are combined into one semester, there are new enrollment requirements that might affect financial aid.

“Aid programs require at least half time enrollment of 6 hours for undergraduate and 4 hours for graduate students. To be full time, students must enroll in 12 hours undergraduate and 8 hours graduate,” Van Pelt said.

Course enrollment and completion are two factors being monitored closely by the financial aid office.

According to Van Pelt, “Our funding hasn’t changed as a result of the combined semesters.
However, students who receive financial aid, need to be sure that they will attend and finish the classes regardless of when the classes begin within the summer semester.”

“If they drop or withdraw after receiving aid, they could be billed for a portion or all of the financial aid they received.”

For the summer semester, bills will be sent on April 15 and will be due on May 4. For more information or to calculate your estimated tuition and fees online, visit http://www.emich.edu/sbs/calc.php.