Churchwell becomes a champion

Before she entered college, junior runner Morgan Churchwell didn’t think she could pull off running distance events.

“My greatest accomplishment so far would be being able to run events that I never would have thought of before I entered college, running like the 3K and 5K,” Churchwell said.

Churchwell began her running career when she was in the seventh grade and she surprisingly started out as a sprinter. Now a mid-distance runner, that fact also surprises her.

In high school, Churchwell was a record holder in the 4×800 meter relay and was a four-year varsity letter winner. During her senior year, she was named All-Conference in the 400-meter event and was a state qualifier in the 800-meter run.

Churchwell began attending Eastern, and during her freshman year her best indoor track accomplishment was snagging second place in the mile event at the Michigan Silverston Invite. At the outdoor EMU Invitational, she placed third in the 3,000-meter event. She was also the lead leg in the distance medley relay team during the Mid-American Conference Championships (MAC).

“I like the fact that we [the team] all enjoy running and that we want the same sort of goals, wanting to do well, winning and using each other to get to that one goal and that is to be champions,” Churchwell said. “I really enjoy the fact that I run with some really nice, funny and supportive people.”

In her sophomore year, Churchwell was the lead runner in the women’s distance medley at the Indoor MAC championship. She also placed third at the Toledo Collegiate Classic in the 800-meter run.

In this year’s indoor track season, Churchwell was in the relay group that landed in first place in the 4×400 meter relay during the Simmons-Harvey Invite.

In the Akron Opener, Churchwell snagged a first place victory in the mile run and her teammate came in second place.

“For this year I want to be able to make regionals for the outdoor season and hopefully set personal records in my outdoor events,” Churchwell said.

At the Meyo Invitational, Churchwell was on the distance medley team that set a new Eastern Michigan record by finishing the race in 11:30.21.

When Churchwell wants to relax and take a break from running, you can find her amongst her friends and teammates just hanging out and hitting the mall on occasion.

“I really enjoy shopping too,” Churchwell said. “Which is kind of sad. My favorite stores are Express, J. Crew, Target and H&M.”

One thing most people do not know about Churchwell is she is a pretty open person. She explained when most people meet her, they pretty much get to know her personality.

With many accomplishments under her belt already, Churchwell is likely to run her way to the top the rest of this season and her senior year. As she said, the goal of the team is to become champions and a champion she will be.