Indie videogames can deliver solid gaming experience for less money

Video games such as “The Legend of Zelda,” “Call of Duty,” “Final Fantasy,” and “World of Warcraft” take the spotlight annually, leaving other, possibly golden, games in the dust. Some of these underrated games include “Terraria,” “Limbo,” “Bastion,” “Catherine,” and “Cave Story .”

Much like the computer game “Minecraft,” “Terraria” is a “build your own house to survive the night” kind of game, except in 2-D. This indie computer game was released May 16, 2011, on Steam for $9.99, and was made by Andrew Spinks.

There are many different biomes to explore such as the desert, ocean and jungle, as well as a trap-infested place called the dungeon.

If you dig down deep enough, you will reach the underworld, which stretches across the whole bottom of the map, filled with many pools of lava and strong creatures. As you explore, you can enhance your character to have stronger weaponry as well as stronger armor.

“Terraria” also features online gameplay so you can work together in fighting the many different bosses, or each other. Many members of the Terraria community have made their own maps people can play through. Some of them are adventure maps, with directions of what to do as you play, whereas others are made for fighting with each other.

“Limbo,” an inexpensive 2-D side-scroller game was released to North America on July 19, 2011, on
gaming consoles, including Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, for $14.99 and on the computer via Steam for $9.99.

Using only shades of black, white and gray and melancholic music, “Limbo” creates a moody, slightly depressing tone. If you enjoy short puzzle games, or games that make you think on the move, then you will enjoy “Limbo.” However, if you are more into plots, then I must warn you that Limbo takes a thick turn with an abrupt ending.

“Bastion,” on the other hand, has an incredible plotline. This game was released July 20, 2011, onto the Xbox Live Arcade and Aug. 16, 2011, on Steam for $14.99.

As you play through the game, a well-detailed story is told to you. The kind of storytelling used is unique, and the voice actor and music are both fun to listen to as you defeat enemies and explore the vast, colorful world you are in. Every little bit you learn about the world around you hooks you more into the game, making it hard to put down the controller.

The gameplay style is much like “Diablo” in that it is one where you defeat enemies on the move, only without spells. The graphics include an interesting art style that looks as though it were hand-painted on your screen. If you are more interested in a game’s story than its gameplay, then “Bastion” is the game for you.

If you’re into off-the-wall games, then you missed out on “Catherine,” a game released on July 26, 2011, for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 that costs anywhere from $39.99 to $59.99.

This odd game is a story about trust, lust and your inner demons. You are a 32-year-old male named Vincent dating a girl named Katherine, who wishes to deepen their relationship by mentioning commitment and marriage, causing him to have creepy nightmares.

In these nightmares you control Vincent, making him climb through block puzzles as a sheep-human creature, and make decisions that will decide your fate and ultimately which game ending out of many you will achieve.

If none of those took your interest, then perhaps “Cave Story3D/Cave Story ” will catch your attention. “Cave Story,” originally released Dec. 20, 2004, in Japan, was re-released for the Nintendo 3DS on Nov. 8, 2011, for $39.99 and on Steam on Nov. 22, 2011, for $9.99.

Similar to the game “Metroid,” “Cave Story” is a 2-D side-scroller role-playing game with a vast assortment of music and puzzles that will keep you entertained five to seven hours. In this game, you wake up as a robot in a small cave that you have to explore. After exploring your first cave, the story begins to unfold.

Throughout “Cave Story,” you must fight enemies and bosses, collecting yellow triangles that give experience to upgrade your weapon. However, every time you get hit, you lose some experience, therefore downgrading your weapon’s level. The decisions you make during the course of the game affect which ending you get.

If your tastes lie in crafting the perfect living environment, figuring out short yet challenging puzzles, playing through twisting plots with artistic graphics, deciding your fate, or saving the world, you should purchase “Terraria,” “Limbo,” “Bastion,” “Catherine,” and/or “Cave Story3D/Cave Story .”