Library ground floor re-opens after repairs

Repairs at Halle Library have been completed and the ground floor will re-open today, just in time for classes to resume from winter break.

Last Wednesday, the library administration worked with the physical plant to coordinate the return of services to the ground floor. The floor had been closed for repairs after a section of the cooling return pipe fell six feet, crashing through the ceiling, damaging the fire suppression system on its way down.

The cause of the pipe failure is still under investigation by the insurance engineer, but according to Bilal Sarsour, director of facilities and maintenance at EMU, “Preliminary results indicate that the incident appears to be the result of a failure of the pipe hanger attachment device to the concrete deck.”

Sarsour also said he is, “Very pleased with the dedicated, hard working, skilled and quality team who put in their time and effort to complete the repair on time.”

For Eastern Michigan University Provost Kim Schatzel, dealing with such an unexpected event so soon after starting her new position at EMU was a “tremendous” experience.

“In stressful situations the worst can come out. Instead, the best came out and everyone worked together,” Schatzel said. “As a newly arrived provost on campus, I am very impressed at how well the EMU community pulled together so successfully over this issue, and am reaffirmed in my appreciation for being a part of this university.”

Dean of the University Library Tara Fulton also had high praise for the team who worked on the repairs.

“The Physical Plant did an absolutely amazing job both in their immediate response to the pipe collapse and in their orchestration of the repairs, which involved not just their staff but contractors and structural inspectors,” Fulton said. “They focused first and foremost on ensuring everyone’s safety, and then on making sure that the repairs were done in a way that would ensure the integrity of the pipe supports.”

Fulton said she was excited to have the ground floor back open for students, faculty and staff.
“In the busy life of a college student, access to the labs, the café, the Holman Center and other ground floor services make all the difference,” Fulton said. “It was sad to see the disappointed
look on students’ faces as they encountered the barricade to the lower level these past six weeks.

We will be so happy to able to move that barricade aside and welcome students back to all four levels of the Halle Library.”

In celebration of the re-opening of the ground floor, the library will be hosting a day of festivities from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m. Activities will include library challenges, campus trivia, a spin-to-win game and many prizes. Students, staff and faculty are invited to come meet the library staff and see the newly repaired ground floor.