5627_ernesto_mejia_headshotf.jpg

Welcome Week is under way

L.I.V.E. Welcome Week is upon us once again, Eastern Michigan Eagles. Launched in fall 2011 by Reginald Barnes, director of Diversity and Community Involvement, and student leaders, Learning Integrity Valuing Equality, or L.I.V.E., is a program designed to connect with culturally underrepresented and first-generation students on campus.

In addition, the program assists students’ transitions from high school to the collegiate experience by showcasing the importance of academic success. It is a series of events with the premise of unity, community involvement and appreciation for the students, faculty, staff and EMU alumni.

Participation is highly encouraged to utilize and enjoy what L.I.V.E. Welcome Week has to offer. So, if you are planning to leave campus on the first weekend that classes start, think again and stick around. You will be glad you did.

L.I.V.E. Welcome Week started with the L.I.V.E. Showcase on Tuesday at University Park. The event was hosted by Ivory Harris, EMU senior, videographer and president of VC Beats Multimedia, and Jasmine Poston, an EMU student from Toledo, Ohio.

The showcase featured performances by SiD Dance Team, I.M.A.G.E. (a performing arts collaborative that includes dancers, singers, rappers, actors, musicians and spoken word artists), the ODD Dance Team, EMU Dance Team, Poetry Society, Diversion Dance Team, Just Arts and Music group and National Pan-Hellenic Council Unity Step.

On Wednesday, Sept. 5 the “Freshman Adjustment,” in the Student Center Auditorium at 6 p.m., will feature motivational keynote speaker and EMU alumnus Ernesto Mejia, who is also a member of the Bureau for Latino Speakers.

Mejia was a first-generation student who experienced academic trials but regrouped to successfully graduate and earn his degree. There will also be a diverse panel of current first-generation students to discuss their transition from high school to college or speak on trials in their lives.

Barnes said the event is meant to help prepare students.

“When students leave this program, we want them to be confident about how to study, prioritize and do the things necessary to earn a degree as soon as possible, and be well-prepared for their chosen profession,” Barnes said.

Are you feeling the craze for Meijer Mania? Ok, how about now? Well, if not come and take part in this event anyway. Meijer Mania is sponsored by Meijer department store in partnership with EMU’s Wellness Center.

Students can catch a bus ride—free of charge—to the Carpenter Road store Sept. 6 for free food, samples, games and prizes. What a great way to stock up on necessities for school, right?

Students will be picked up from the Student Center Circle Drive on Oakwood and the First Year Center on Ann Street starting at 6:45 p.m., and will return to campus at 10:30 p.m.

“I’m glad such an event is available to students, especially for my daughter,” LaKeena Henry, mother of an EMU student, said. “I wish they had this when I was in college.”

On Friday, Sept. 7 a community block party will take place at Buell Hall at 4 p.m. This event is designed for students to network with businesses, civic organizations and community agencies. In addition, there will be food, music, games, a dunk tank, a step dance instructor, giveaways and EMU’s mascot, Swoop, will be in attendance as well.

“I think the community block party is the ideal event for students seeking employment and networking within the community,” EMU alumnus Daniel Russell said. “I cannot stress enough the importance of networking in this day and age for our young people.”

Also on Friday, there will be a students vs. alumni basketball game at 7 p.m. in the Rec/IM building. You can come support both teams as they battle for glory on the basketball court. Following the game there will be laser tag in the Student Center Ballroom at 9 p.m.

On Saturday, Sept. 8 student organizations will gather for a tailgate party in “Tailgate Town” by Rynearson Stadium, for our first home game of the year against Illinois State. Display your school spirit and support our football team as we strive for victory.

Also, come take part in “Life After the Fall” in the Student Center Auditorium on Tuesday, Sept. 11 at 6 p.m. This event will feature keynote speaker Jordan Burnham of Active Minds. Burnham will educate students about mental health disorders, suicide and coping mechanisms by sharing his testimonial on overcoming societal pressure and clinical depression.

To conclude L.I.V.E. Welcome Week, there will be a State of the Black Union Address in the Student Center Auditorium Sept. 12 at 6:30 p.m. The primary goal is to address concerns and provide solutions affecting black students at EMU.