EMU Foundation to award scholarships at new event

A new event called Bringing the Tradition of Education Back will award three high school students a $500 scholarship from the Eastern Michigan University Foundation Friday, Oct. 5 from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.

The event will be presented by the EMU Black Alumni Chapter, National Pan-Hellenic Council and Celebrating Your Opportunity to Unite, and will be co-sponsored by the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Xi Chapter.

Bringing the Tradition of Education Back was originally going to cater mainly to local high school students, but Brittany Galloway from Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Xi Chapter said the event is now going to focus on EMU freshmen as well.

Galloway said students will be given a chance to obtain information about financial aid, resume writing, networking and professionalism from the educational workshops.

Also, students will have the opportunity to attend a student organization fair.

The event will stress the importance of higher education to students and encourage them to invest in their educations and their futures.

“My favorite part about Bringing the Tradition of Education Back is the focus on education,” Galloway said. “Nelson Mandela once said that, ‘Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world,’ and I absolutely agree that it is time that for us as young adults to truly invest in education and focus on our futures.”

Trevis Harrold, president of Celebrating Y.O.U., said in an email one of the priorities of Bringing the Tradition of Education Back is to make sure that all students are welcome and to give back to the students.

“Students are at the top of our list and we are making sure that they leave this event with something, which may either be knowledge or a $500 scholarship,” Harrold said. “But we hope some leave with both.”

“This campus has … some of the best faculty and administrators and I hope students come out of the event learning how to take full advantage of that,” he said.