Event focuses on making strong alum

Eastern Michigan University’s Black Alumni Association and the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Xi Chapter will be cohosting the annual Homecoming event Young and Successful Oct. 3 from 6 – 9 p.m. in room 300 of the Student Center.

The event will focus on building excellence and supporting the professional development of EMU students in the hopes of building a strong EMU alumni for generations to come.

“It’s where we try to connect current EMU students, mainly undergrads, to recent EMU alums from various professional backgrounds,” Program Coordinator Rebecca Bowman said.
The event will include the awarding of some scholarships and other free giveaways, as well as free food.

EMU alumni Kendall Tucker and Stephanie Cunningham will be the guest speakers for the event.

“These alums are given a bit of time to speak to the attendees and talk about their experience at EMU, and also give them advice about how to navigate the transition from college to the working world,” Bowman said.

Tucker, aka 14KT, is a musical artist, producer and deejay. He is a national champion in the Red Bull Big Tune Beat Battle.
Cunningham currently works at Maxey Boys Training School as a clinical social worker.

These alumni will talk about their careers and share how EMU helped them make it to where they are today.

After the speakers present, attendees will be able to participate in an activity that will help them with their career goals.
“I won’t exactly share what it is this year, so I don’t spoil things,” Bowman said.