EMU gives thanks

“I give thanks for my family with three children and three grandchildren and for being part of the Eastern family of students, faculty, staff and alumni. Go green!”

-Susan Martin, Eastern Michigan University president

“I am thankful for the best supervisors that anyone could ask for here at Eastern Michigan University. They have been there to bounce ideas off of, advise me in making better decisions, been there to talk to when no one else was, and help shape me into the person that I am today. Between Admissions, Campus Life, and Residence Life, I would have been a lost soul in the herd of students here at Eastern. Thank you for guiding me and helping me make something of myself during this chapter in my life. And to Chris Knight, for pulling me out of the dark and keeping me from strolling back into it. I love you and miss you, friend. “

-Blake Navarre, student and 2012 Homecoming king

“I am thankful for good health and strength throughout this year, and being able to wake up each morning when it wasn’t guaranteed. I am also very thankful for my family in Maryland who I can’t wait to see for the holidays, my sister who is away at bootcamp, and my amazing boyfriend.”

-Ja’La Wourman, student and 2012 Homecoming queen

“I’m thankful for my wife of 30 years, my two fun-loving sons (21 and 24), for the chance to work at a university that cares so much about its students and the community, for the chance to interact with a lively student newspaper, and for the chance to occasionally dance like nobody is watching.”

-Geoff Larcom, executive director of media relations

“What I’m thankful the most for is my experience at Eastern Michigan University. This has been the best 5 years of my life. I’ve grown so much as a person from the university. It has taught me many lessons about life: one of the most important being that the importance of being yourself, and not to be ashamed of any facet of your being. I’ve also grown so much as a professional in the workplace: I went from a bumbling freshman, sweating and stumbling over words at an audition to co-headlining a comedy showcase for a comedy troupe that I helped to create.

But, I also haven’t forgot the people that I’ve known before Eastern too. These were the people that were beginning to form my identity, without even realizing it: My family, my mom and Grandmother. They have taught me strength, love, compassion and treating everyone as you wanted to be treated, and also to support the people you love and care about. Also, my group of friends back home. They have help shaped my outlook on life, and each have taught me valuable lessons. Also the friends that I’ve lost over the years, I do miss you, but that has also taught me the lesson that change will come in your life, and you have to realize this and make changes the best way you can.”

-Jahmeel Powers, student, actor and co-founder of Laugh-A-Minute Enterprises

“I’m thankful for my family (both biological and chosen), for Skinnygirl cosmos and ‘Homeland’ (Showtime series).”

-Phil Simmons, assistant professor of musical theatre and dance

“I am thankful for my family, friends and sorority members who remind me daily to continue to push and going for the full achievement of my goals. I am thankful for the faculty and staff who I have grown closer to deeper than just a classroom basis. I am thankful that they ask for my story and are there for me to cry, laugh, vent and serve as a role model to look up too.

I am thankful for my ability to understand that the transitions I am going through before my final semester at EMU will all shape me into a better person to fully understand life, and making important decisions in my life as a adult. I am thankful for my health, my faith, my energy and all the opportunities that have and will be presented to me that will benefit me to becoming a better person and being able to serve my community.”

-Brittni Brown, student and president of Fashionality EMU