How to deal with stress of mid-semester

So Eastern Michigan University’s midterms are over, most of us have our schedules for next semester set, and…now what? With the weather growing more and more unpleasant by the day and projects piling up, it’s easy to fall into a mid-semester slump.

Many of the conversations I overheard in the past couple weeks included the words “stressed” and “tired.” Some of my fellow students have wanted to curl up and die from all the work they were faced with. I believe at least one person expressed a desire to run away and live in a forest.

The end of fall semester shouldn’t be so soul-crushing. Here are a few tips to make that load feel just a little lighter.

Many of you probably already do this, but writing down what you need to accomplish works wonders. Here’s a secret—I’m awesome at forgetting things. If you’re like me and tend to let assignments slip to the very back of your mind until the night before it’s due (or worse!), taking the time out to go through all of your classes and write down anything that might need to be turned in can be the difference between an A and a buckets of tears.

Additionally, those pesky semester-end projects are starting to flow in. Looking at them from the outside can feel intensely overwhelming, but try breaking it down into little pieces. Maybe set out to find all your sources one night, draw the poster the next and add finishing touches the night after that. Set out to write one page each day for the ridiculously long research paper you’ve been putting off. Trust me, it’s not that scary.

Remember your priorities. If that ridiculously long research paper is due tomorrow morning, maybe the party tonight isn’t such a great idea. There will always be more parties, but if you screw up your grades, it can be hard to make them up. I mean, you’re paying for these classes; it’s kind of a waste if you fail.

Working out is a good way to boost your mood and a healthy way to relieve a little stress. Go for a jog around campus to burn off a little pent up energy, or spend the evening on a treadmill at the Rec/IM to unwind after a day of classes. You’ll feel better and, if you make a habit out of it, you won’t have to worry one bit when swimsuit season sneaks back around.

Also, remember to treat yourself. College is the time to work hard to build a bright future, but it’s also the time to enjoy being young. The worst thing you could do when stressed out is lock yourself in your dorm room. Even if it’s just a late-night Taco Bell run with a group of close friends or a solo walk through the park while listening to your favorite songs, you’ll feel that much more ready to face the world afterwards. Maybe even go to that party (as long as you don’t have that ridiculously long research paper to do).

If all else fails, just remember that Thanksgiving break is right around the corner, and the end of the semester is just one good sprint away from there.