Republicans’ majority holds in Supreme Court

Stephen Markman and Brian Zahra from the Republican Party and Bridget McCormack, a University of Michigan law professor, from the Democratic Party have won seats on the Michigan Supreme Court.

McCormack, the first non-judge elected to the Supreme Court since 1986, took first place in the Michigan Supreme Court election with 6,000 votes more than Markman. McCormack and Markman will both hold eight-year terms in the Supreme Court.

Markman, 63, said in an interview with MLive.com second place was fine with him because the top two nominees secured spots on the court.

McCormack, 46, said in her speech she is committed to serving the people of Michigan with integrity and fairness.

“My election to the Michigan Supreme Court is a victory for the working men and women who want and deserve a fair shake in our court system,” McCormack said in a statement. “I’m proud to say their votes have been counted and their voices have been heard. To those who supported me and to those who did not, the people of Michigan have my steadfast commitment and I will serve them with the utmost integrity and fairness.”

Zahra won 50 percent of the votes compared with 41 percent of the votes that Shelia Johnson, a Southfield district judge, won in the Michigan Supreme Court election for a partial term. He will hold two years in the Supreme Court.

Democrats were hoping to hold more power in the court in 2012 by having only women nominees on the ballot, but Michigan voters chose to stay conservative.

Tom Shields, spokesman for the campaigns for the Republican nominees, said in an interview with MLive.com, “Michigan voters have chosen to protect the rule of law majority by voting for Markman and Zahra to return to the Supreme Court.”

The Republic Party and Democratic Party spent $10 million on television ads for the Michigan Supreme Court election. According to Justice at Stake and the Brennan Center for Justice, Michigan was expected to have the most expensive Supreme Court election in the country this year.