Bell stands out with voice

It’s not hard to spot the immense talent here at Eastern Michigan University, but Kristianna Bell stands out among the crowd.

Bell, a sophomore at EMU, is originally from Ypsilanti; the 19-year-old is a vocal performance major with a double minor in arts management and marketing.

Bell has been singing since she was a child, and said her musical inspirations for singing stems from a wide variety of artists such as Lea Michele, Lana Del Rey, Luther Vandross, Etta James and Beethoven.

‘‘I feel that music is a gateway to anywhere that you want to go,” she said. “There is a song for any type of mood that you are feeling.”

Bell has received praise for her performances on campus and recently performed at the EMU Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration H2E talent show Friday. The sensual yet soulful singer kept her composure, and the crowd’s reaction following her performane included all the elements needed for another great performance here at EMU.

“I have been singing my whole life. My mother told me that I was humming in tune before I could talk,” she said.

Her mother was a singer as well.

Bell is a member of Inspired Motivational Activists Geared Toward Education and arranged for motivational speaker Eric Thomas to speak at EMU Jan. 8.

Bell is constantly working on her craft and reaching new heights in her life, but as far as music is concerned, she considers that to be her destination in the near future.

“For me, music, whether I’m playing, listening or singing to it, is a way for me to get away from the things surrounding me in my life,” she said. “I hope to one day be performing for a living and be successful with that.”