Caffeine Chronicles #11: Coffee-related resolutions

Welcome to the first Caffeine Chronicles of the year. While you’re scrambling to purchase truckloads of textbooks for this semester’s classes, don’t forget to stop and smell the sweet scent of freshly made coffee. To ring in this new beginning, here is a list of coffee-related resolutions certain to make this year tasty.

Get adventurous: It’s easy to fall into complacency at any place that sells consumable objects. You find that one thing you like the most, and from that moment on all you order is that one thing. Cafes are prone to this as well—find that perfect latte and, all of a sudden, everything else on the menu magically vanishes.

Don’t get me wrong; it’s awesome to have a favorite drink. There have been some coffee shops whose baristas can practically predict what I want from the moment I walk in the door. But here’s a challenge: Even if it’s only once, try every item on the menu. You never know—you may discover a new favorite. Either way, it’ll be a lot of fun checking menu items off your list.

Don’t stop at just drinks, either. Going to a different coffee shop can be an interesting experience as well. Travelling to a city you’ve never been to? Don’t settle for your favorite chain. Instead of hitting up your comfortable Starbucks or grabbing a McCafe drink, find a local cafe. Sit down, get to know some of the people there, enjoy the atmosphere and order something unique to their menu.

Stay in for the night: The aroma of freshly brewed coffee makes any house, apartment or dorm a home. Do you know how to brew your own coffee? Well, this is the year to learn.

There’s always good, old-fashioned, electric drip coffeemakers, the kind you probably watched your parents use from the time you were a kid. Lately, Keurig-style coffeemakers have been catching on. These use disposable “K-Cups,” which are placed directly into the machine. The paper filter and coffee grounds are contained within the cup, eliminating some of the hassle. There are a variety of flavors and brands on the market, so you’ll be sure to find one that tickles your fancy.

French presses are also gaining a lot of popularity. The process involves letting the coffee grounds float freely in the hot water for about five minutes, although some enthusiasts may let their brew sit for hours. After you’re done letting your coffee steep, you press down a plunger which pushes all of the coffee grounds to the bottom of the press, allowing you to pour the coffee freely.
The French press method gives you maximum control over your brew.

Get healthy (and still enjoy a cup of joe): Many people’s New Year’s resolutions involve losing weight or adopting healthier habits. If you’re looking at cutting coffee out of your diet, consider some healthier variations before kissing it goodbye for good.

One surefire way to cut calories is to decrease the size of the drink you buy. Do you really need a “big ol’ venti”-sized cup to wake you up each morning? Instead of drinking enough coffee to fill a small pool, maybe you should downgrade to a smaller size. Ask the barista to make your lattes with skim or reduced fat milk as well—you’ll lower both your fat and calorie intake.

Whipped cream is also a no-no if you’re trying to tame that tummy. Adding it tacks on nearly 110-140 calories that could have easily been avoided. Also, the flavored syrups used in your drink can be a problem for any weight-watchers, so opt for sugar-free syrup instead. If it’s the caffeine itself that’s giving you grief (such as sleeping trouble or headaches), make the switch to decaf coffee.

Relax and enjoy the ride: Sure, we don’t have ancient Mayan calendars telling us the world is going to end, but 2013 isn’t going to be any easier than 2012. There will be good times and bad times, times of great triumph and times of great stress. With the world constantly rushing forward in time, don’t forget to take the time to relax and enjoy your favorite warm cup of coffee or a bittersweet iced latte. After all, life is too short to overlook the simple pleasures.