LGBT research being accepted for scholarship

Proposals for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender student research are being accepted by Eastern Michigan University’s Center for the Study of Equality and Human Rights.

A $500 scholarship will be awarded to one currently enrolled, graduate or undergraduate student for research focused on equality oriented public policy associated with LGBT communities.

Qualifying proposals must be sponsored by an EMU faculty member. They will be accepted until Feb.15, and can be submitted online or by email. Projects must be completed by December for consideration.

Selected research will be published in the Equality Research Monograph and submitted for possible inclusion in EMU’s winter 2014 Undergraduate Research Symposium and Graduate Research Fair.

Supported by the John and Genevieve Dyer Educational Foundation, the Center for the Study of Equality and Human Rights connects research to LGBT advocacy and community action, and was founded in 2010 by a gift from Timothy Dyer, an EMU alumnus and former regent.

Its main objective, according to Director Michael A. Tew, is to stimulate and disseminate LGBT equality oriented research.

“We think there is no better place to start than by supporting student research,” Tew said in a news release.

For applications and specific award details, visit www.emich.edu/equality.