Eastern gymnastics ends 5-win season with loss to CMU

The Eastern Michigan University women’s gymnastics team traveled to compete against the Central Michigan University Chippewas on Saturday. The Eagles lost the meet 196.000-193.500.

Their final, regular-season dual meet brought EMU’s record to 5-10 overall and 0-6 in the Mid-American Conference.

EMU took control of the vault when three Eagle gymnasts shared first place: freshman Khadijah Hudson, redshirt sophomore Anna Willette and redshirt senior Amanda Fuller tied for first with a score of 9.825.

“I feel that I did good on vault, but there’s always room for improvement on the other events as well,” Willette said.

Behind their EMU teammates on the vault were senior Kristina Kurkmilis, taking fifth place (9.800), and freshman Ashlin Chambliss taking ninth to tie her 9.700 personal high on the vault.

The other events didn’t prove to be best for the Eagles as the team claimed nothing higher than fourth place.

On the bars, Willette took fourth place with a 9.750, and EMU sophomore Carrina Lo Bello marked her personal best with a 9.725 to take sixth.

The highest place for EMU on the beam was junior Kaylee Meyers with 9.725 to take fifth place.

EMU claimed as high as seventh place on the floor with Hudson’s 9.825, followed by Fuller’s 9.775.

Hudson took third place in all-around competition with a combined score of 38.250.

“There’s a lot of excitement, and we’re going to go into the MACs with a positive mindset and determination and show everyone what we’re capable of,” Willette said.

The Eagles will head to Kalamazoo, Mich., to compete in the MAC Championships March 23.

“We’ve been working hard all season for this moment and everything is bound to come together all at once,” Willette said. “Our team is good, and I can’t wait for next weekend.”