EMU professors will play weekend recitals

Music will be in the air this Friday, and this time it’s an Eastern Michigan University faculty member creating the melody. Professor Joel Schoenhals, an EMU music professor of piano, will be performing part two of Beethoven’s Sonata No. 32 at Pease Auditorium.

The first portion of this concert was performed in the fall and is now ready to be continued.

According to Schoenhals, this performance is only the beginning. It’s part of “a monumental series of 32 sonatas in four years over eight concerts. [I] will be performing a concert each fall and winter semester for the next four years.”

The concert will start with Sonata No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 10, No. 1 and will move on to Sonata No. 6 in F Major, Op. 10, No. 2; Sonata No. 7 in D Major, Op. 10, No. 3; and Sonata No. 8 in C Minor, Op. 13 “Pathétique.” This is a great opportunity to listen to some classical music and hear some of Beethoven’s best.

In addition, professors Anne Beth Gajda and Garik Pedersen will be hosting their own annual recital on Sunday. Both recitals are free and open to the public.

Don’t miss this opportunity to see faculty members show off their skills and talents as part of the Steinway Campaign, a department-wide project to help raise money to purchase pianos for the Music Department. Students in the department have been raising awareness and funding for this campaign by collecting returnable bottles and cans in the Alexander Music Building.

Schoenhal’s Beethoven recital will take place Friday at 8 p.m. in Pease Auditorium. Gajda and Pedersen’s recital is Sunday at 4 p.m. in Pease Auditorium, followed by a reception at the University House at 5:30 p.m. Both events are Learning Beyond the Classroom credit approved.