EMU junior Heidi McKercher attended the study abroad trip to Florence and Rome, Italy.

EMU students spend winter break abroad

Eastern Michigan University students had the opportunity to participate in study abroad programs this winter, from March 1 through winter break.

The trips included visits to Florence and Rome in Italy, Prague in the Czech Republic and Munich in Germany.

During the 10-day trip to Europe, students took a three credit hour class such as an art or a history class. The sights visited correlated with the things they studied. The trip included students and at least one staff member.

EMU sophomore Ted Curran decided to take the study abroad class HIST 103: The study of Europe in the 20th century. He went with the group to Prague and Munich.

“They’re different cities definitely,” Curran said. “Prague was very beautiful, with lots of old art. Munich was shinier and newer, definitely a party city.”

The cost of the trip was about $3,500 for him.

Curran said there was no way he could pick a favorite part of the trip, but he gave his top three favorites.

“Number one would be the Prague castle,” he said. “They’ve been building it for 800 years. The second would be the castle in Germany. It’s the castle that Disney based Cinderella’s castle off of.
Number three would be the rest of Prague. It’s kind of cheating, but it’s such a beautiful city.”

EMU junior Heidi McKercher also attended the trip. McKercher is in the hotel management program at EMU, so she took HRM 385: Global hospitality management.

McKercher visited Florence and Rome, Italy. The cost for the trip was $4,000, and she said it was worth every penny. The group toured both cities and made stops at historical sites such as the Vatican, the Coliseum and the Trevi Fountain.

McKercher said visiting the Vatican was her favorite part of the trip.

“It was gorgeous,” she said. “There was not an inch that didn’t have something beautiful on it. I could have spent forever looking up. We even got to participate in Sunday Mass, which was cool since there’s no pope.

“I did not know a single person when I went. I came back with 14 lifelong friends. Bonding over such beautiful sights and delicious food can make even the worst of enemies become friends. The whole thing was simply amazing.”