Recruiters at career fair offer advice to students

The University Advising and Career Development Center at Eastern Michigan University hosted the Call to Serve Government Career Fair on Thursday.

Students registered at the UACDC arrived to speak with recruiters from multiple agencies and hand in résumés, while recruiters spoke about characteristics of ideal applicants.

“We want students to learn about career opportunities with state and federal agencies,” said Barbara Jones, senior corporate relations manager at the UACDC. “We want to give students opportunities for networking and learning about applying for jobs.”

“We are recruiting for our field examiner position,” Jones said. “They essentially investigate unfair labor practices and report to our agency.”

“We namely want students who show potential with good grades and who can multitask,” the recruiters from the Federal Air Marshals said.

The Dearborn Police Department gave specifics in what skills they want in a student.

“We’re looking for students with great communication skills, that can think on their feet, can multitask, can make good, quick decisions. People who have book smarts but also have great common sense,” a DPD representative said.

Other agencies represented included City Year Detroit, Michigan’s Department of Environmental Quality, the Department of Homeland Security and more.

The Township of Ypsilanti sought an intern to work on community development projects.

The Grand Traverse Conservation District was looking for interns to create environmental education programs and employees who would survey invasive species.

Jones encouraged students to register with the UACDC by visiting emich.edu/uacdc or their office in McKenny Hall, room 200.