Students discuss women’s role in hip-hop at event

Intending to bring forward the issue of the role of women in hip-hop, My Mic Sounds Nice was held in Eastern Michigan University’s Student Center on Wednesday. The event was coordinated by Heather Nicholson and Nicole Carter, two feminist self-described “hip-hop heads,” both part of EMU’s education studies doctoral program.

“Hip-hop gets a bad rap,” Carter said (while not confirming whether or not the pun was, indeed, intended). “We’re hoping that this event will focus on the positive aspects.”

My Mic Sounds Nice was scheduled in March so that it would take place during Women’s History Month. The event included the showing of a documentary about women in hip-hop called “Say My Name” (followed by a group discussion about the film), a live art showcase and gallery walk and a live rap cipher.

“The main thing we’re hoping to do is start a discussion,” Nicholson said.

Everybody in the audience seemed to get involved in the discussion, all speaking from different points of view and different experiences. Since they all shared a love of music, there was a certain connection between everybody, even during the most intense moments of disagreement. Nicholson ultimately felt satisfied with how the discussion turned out.

There was also a My Mic Sounds Nice zine sold at the door. All the proceeds from it are going to a scholarship to benefit a female of color in EMU’s women and gender studies program.

While not everybody will agree on the issues brought forward by My Mic Sounds Nice, interesting points were made on both sides.

Feminism and hip-hop have both been controversial for as long as they’ve been around, so bringing up their relation to one another is bound to result in similar controversy.

Still, with a delicate handling of the topic, a worthy cause and a discussion that never strayed away from respectfulness, the event wound up being as nice as the sound of that mic.