Students had the chance to have fun while learning.

Students launch fundraiser

Thirty attend Latin dance event

Eastern Michigan University students launched a Latin dance fundraiser Saturday at Big Bob’s Lakehouse to aid the Salvadoran Humanitarian Aid, Research and Education Foundation.

EMU’s Ballroom Dance Club and Swing Society, Latino Student Association, Spanish Club and Student Alliance for the Benefit of El Salvador organized the event.

Laila Hamdan, an EMU junior studying music therapy, said 900 people received Facebook invitations to the event but only 30 attended.

Brittany Motyka, a senior studying international affairs, said, “It’s a great opportunity to get involved when you know it will positively affect someone else’s life.”

Assistant professor Suzanne Zelnik-Geldys, who teaches a variety of dance classes at EMU, said planning for the fundraiser began six weeks ago, and she spent $302 of a $400 grant to fund the dance.

“My favorite part about this event is seeing students having fun while learning about Latin culture,” Zelnik-Geldys said.

Professor Richard Stahler-Sholk, who teaches poverty, human rights and health, said EMU students raised $1,000 from a garage sale and greeting card sale to assist El Salvador, and said the EMU Study Abroad program is a great chance for students to learn how to work together to accomplish goals.

For more information about the SHARE Foundation, a grassroots organization promoting sustainable development and human rights in El Salvador, visit www.share-elsalvador.org.