Scott Reynolds

Board approves graduation speakers

Editor’s note: This story was updated to reflect the time change the university implemented for the morning commencement. The early ceremony will now begin at 9:30 a.m. instead of 10 a.m.

Eastern Michigan University’s Board of Regents has approved TV producer Scott Reynolds and philanthropist Robert Holman Jr. as speakers for this year’s April 28 commencement ceremony at the Convocation Center, located at 799 N. Hewitt Road in Ypsilanti.

Reynolds will be speaking at the 9:30 a.m. ceremony. Graduates in the morning ceremony represent the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Technology. Reynolds will be awarded an honorary doctorate of arts and letters.

Holman, a philanthropist and retired executive of Discount Tire, will speak at the 2 p.m. ceremony for students from the College of Business, the College of Education and the College of Health and Human Services. The board will award him an honorary doctorate of business administration.

Reynolds is an EMU alumnus. He graduated in 1995 with a bachelor’s degree in English literature, film studies and theatre. Reynolds began freelancing for the award-winning Showtime drama “Dexter” in 2007, and was named a staff writer one year later. In 2009 he was promoted to story editor and executive story editor in 2010. “Dexter” features a police forensics expert who doubles as a serial killer out for justice, seeking out criminals who have escaped the justice system without punishment. The show was named TV Program of the Year for 2007 and 2008 by the American Film Industry.

Holman began working for Discount Tire while attending EMU. He graduated in 1974 with a Bachelor’s of Business Administration in accounting. He transferred to the company’s headquarters in Arizona and was promoted to vice president, later becoming senior vice president and chief financial officer of the company, before retiring in 2008. A supporter of EMU, Holman funded the establishment of the Holman Success Center in Halle Library, to provide academic support for EMU undergraduates at no charge. Holman also served as an EMU Foundation trustee.

The board will also award three additional honorary doctorates of education to Michigan Sen. Randy Richardville and philanthropists William and Delores Brehm.

Richardville has been a strong supporter of EMU’s Autism Collaborative Center. A Republican from Monroe County, Mich., he was first elected to the Michigan Senate in 2006, and was selected State Senate Majority leader in 2010 after his re-election. Richardville spoke at EMU’s “0-0-0” campaign, which froze tuition, fees and housing costs for 2010-11. His focus has been on economic development and veteran’s and children’s issues. The senator will receive his honorary doctorate of education at the morning commencement.

Philanthropists William and Delores Brehm are supporters of EMU and special education. Their generosity has resulted in an endowed scholarship as well as a $3.2 million donation, the largest in the university’s history. The donation, given to the College of Education, was used to establish the Delores Sodorequist Brehm Center for Special Education Scholarship and Research. The Brehms also fully endowed programs they have been supporting for years. William and Delores will be awarded honorary doctorates of education at the afternoon ceremony.

Go to emich.edu/commencement/ for more information about the spring commencement ceremonies.