MAGIC fundraiser at Tower Inn

A dine-and-donate fundraiser for Eastern Michigan University’s Academic Success Partnerships’ Mentorship Across Guidance in College program will be held Tuesday from 5-10 p.m. at Tower Inn Café, located at 701 W. Cross St.

Funds from this event will be used to support students enrolled in the MAGIC program, which assists those who have aged out of foster care with mentoring and support.

Tower Inn will donate 20 percent of the bill, minus beverages, from any patron who presents the bottom portion of the flier (see web address near end of article).

MAGIC is a federally-funded support program located on EMU’s campus. The program’s primary purpose is to assist students who were formally in foster care to transition into adult life.

MAGIC provides an independent living skills coach to assist program members in developing a plan to achieve success, graduate from EMU and secure their independence.

The program pairs students with mentors who have similar career and education interests, providing a safe and supportive environment and insuring that each receives appropriate housing year-round.

According to a Midwest study conducted in 2011 by Mark Courtney, only 3 percent of alumni from
foster care complete a bachelor’s degree by the age of 26, compared to 24 percent of the general population. Of those alumni, 48 percent are employed compared to the 80 percent of non-foster care graduates.

The study concluded that 33 percent of foster care students dropped out before completion of a degree in 2011. The need to assist foster care students prompted the creation of the MAGIC program.

The program provides services including monthly workshops based on the Casey Life Skills Assessment, which is a free tool that assesses the behaviors and competencies youth need to achieve their long-term goals.

It aims to point youth in the right direction toward developing healthy, productive lives. Their answers can be viewed and discussed with a mentor, actively engaging youth in the process of developing their goals and discovering their strengths.

MAGIC also provides support groups, educational and employment opportunities, social enrichment activities and periodic study sessions. Active students enrolled in the program can receive emergency assistance if needed. The program is free to foster care alumni who are 21 years old or younger.

In addition to the fundraiser at Tower Inn, many volunteer opportunities are available. MAGIC is
looking for volunteers to assist with a number of activities including organizing personal care item drives and assembling gift baskets for important events in students’ lives, such as graduation.

Tutoring and donating time to train students on specific life skills is needed as well. If you are currently in a graduate program or a working professional on campus, MAGIC is seeking mentors.

For more information on Tuesday’s fundraiser, or to download the flier visit www.emich.edu/magic/documents/magic-dine-to-donate.pdf.

For additional information, to sign up for volunteer opportunities or to become a MAGIC mentor, visit the website at www.emich.edu/magic or call 734-487-0899.

MAGIC is located at 301 Pierce Hall and is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.