Ekklesia Fellowship gives out free lunches

The Ekklesia Fellowship Ministries, located at 123 N. Adams St., gave neighbors and strangers a free lunch, cold beverages and gifts on Saturday, June 22, when they held a neighborhood outreach event outside their church.

“It lets you know that people at the church are trying to be caring towards the community and we are here for them if they ever need anything,” said church member and Eastern Michigan University freshman Darcel McClure.

McClure was among roughly a dozen members who volunteered to give free lunch and gifts to anyone passing by the tents and tables set up alongside of the church next to the sidewalk.

Church members handed out pizza, popcorn, water, soda, t-shirts, socks, gift bags and other small items. Drinks went fast due to the high temperatures and humidity, volunteers said.

Victoria James, pastor of the non-denominational church, said there have been similar events with giveaways, and some members of the community were surprised there was no cost for anything.

“We actually had to convince the people that all this was free,” Jones said. “They couldn’t believe we were just giving all this stuff away; some of them were shocked.”

James is an EMU alum, and two of her children and two of her grandchildren also graduated from EMU. She said church members wanted to show local residents they are capable of assisting them with more services than just preaching the gospel.

“This is our effort to reach out to the community and surrounding areas and show them we care,” James said. “We can do a lot more outside of those church walls and help people who need it.”

She also said it may inspire other Ypsilanti residents in the neighborhood to be more thoughtful.

“Sometimes, people see people helping each other and it makes them want to help, too. It stirs them up and makes them want to do something.”

James said Ekklesia Fellowship Ministries intends on hosting a similar event in the fall, and they will have items geared towards the colder months like hats and gloves. The date has not been specified.

The church will also be taking part in “Unity in the Community,” a gospel festival from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, July 20 at Parkridge Community Park. The festival will include choirs, gospel rap, Christian speakers and numerous vendors.