News Briefs

EMU’s Findley named state coordinator for Michigan-American Council on Education Women’s Network—

Assistant Vice President for Academic Success Partnerships at Eastern Michigan University, Lynette Findley, has been named state coordinator for the Michigan-American Council on Education Women’s Network and will serve two years.

Findley earned a doctorate in higher education administration from Michigan State University, a master’s degree in guidance and counseling and a bachelor’s degree in special education from the University of Michigan.

Graduate students in EMU’s historic preservation program are getting experience in a Victorian-era home located in the town of Concord.

The Mann house was built by Daniel and Ellen Mann in 1883. Ellen Mann and her two daughters, Jessie Ellen and Mary Ida, graduated from EMU.

The students are helping the Michigan Historical Museum staff check inventories and improve storage conditions for the archives. Research includes the study of objects from the home which hopes of providing information on life in early Michigan. For more information, go to the Mann house website at Michigan.gov/mannhouse or call (517) 524-8943.

Holocaust Memorial Center Zekelman Family Campus and EMU Teacher Seminar—

The Holocaust Memorial Center Zekelman Family Campus and Eastern Michigan University will present the Fourth Annual Summer Teacher Seminar for current and future teachers and their students.

The seminar will take place August.12-16 at the Holocaust Memorial Center in Farmington Hills.

The theme for this year’s seminar, “Witnesses to the Holocaust,” is designed to shape and improve an instructor’s practice and content usage in the academic sense. This idea looks to make lessons regarding the Holocaust understandable to students.

Attendees will hear presentations from scholars and survivors of the Holocaust.

For more information, contact Sarah Painter at spainter@emich.edu or the Holocaust Memorial Center at education@holocaustcenter.org or call (248) 553-2400, ext. 13.